NICOSIA REGION IN A SNAPSHOT
Mouseiou 1. Fascinating collection of Cypriot antiquities and treasures
from the Neolithic Age to the Early Byzantine period. Mon-Sat:09:00-17:00
The Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia
Ippokratous 17, near Laiki Geitonia. The historical museum of Lefkosia
revives life in the capital from ancient times to the present.
Byzantine Museum and Art Galleries
Archbishop Makarios III Foundation Cultural Centre, Plateia
Arch,Kyprianou. Largest collection of icons on the island, covering the
9th to 18th centuries. The Art Galleries contain oil paintings, maps and
lithographs. Mon - Fri: 09:00-16:30; Sat:09:00-13:00
Agios Ioannis Cathedral
Plateia Arch. Kyprianou. Built by Archbishop Nikiforos in 1662, the
18th-century wall paintings depict scenes from the Bible and the
discovery of the tomb of Saint Barnabas. Mon-Sat: 08:00-12:00;
14:00-16:00 (and during mass)
Archbishopric(Old and New)
Plateia Arch.Kyprianou. Center of the Cyprus Orthodox Church, the new
Archbishopric was built in a neo-Byzantine style in 1960. The Old
Archbishopric houses the Folk Art Museum.
National Struggle Museum
Behind the Old Archbishopric. Documents, photographs and other
memorabilia of the 1955-1959 National Liberation Struggle.
Ethnological Museum - The House of Chatzigeorgakis Kornesios
Patriarchou Gregoriou 20. The most important 18th-century building in
Lefkosia. It won the 1988 Europa Nostra Award. Once the residence of the
Dragoman Chatzigeorgakis Kornesios. Mon-Fri:08:00-14:00; Sat:09:00-13:00
Leoforos Athinon. The Venetian walls which encircle the old city possess
eleven heart-shaped bastions. The city has three gates. One of them, the
Porta Giuliana called Famagusta Gate, is now the Lefkosia Municipal
Cultural Centre. Used for exhibitions, conferences, lectures and various
performances. Mon-Fri: 10:00-13:00; 16:00-19:00; (17:00-20:00, June-August).
Within walking distance from the Archbishopric. Considered the oldest
Byzantine church in Lefkosia, it is dedicated to 'Our Lady of the Golden
Flax' and is believed to have been built in 1450 by Queen Helena Palaeologos.
Near the main Municipal Market within the walled city. Converted into a
mosque in 1571 by Mustapha Pasha. Most of the original building was
destroyed by Ottoman artillery. The door of the main entrance belongs to
the 14th-century Lusignan building. Mon-Sat:10:00-12:30; 13:30-15:30
Onasagorou within the old city. Built in 1872. The marble mausoleum to
the east of the church contains the relics of the bishops and priests
executed by the Turks in 1821.
State Gallery of Contemporary Art
Leoforos Stasinou and Kritis. Representative collection of paintings and
sculpture by 20th-century Cypriot artists. Mon-Fri:10:00-17:00;
Cyprus Handicraft Centre
Leoforos Athalassas 186. The centre aims to promote and enrich
traditional folk art and craft skills. It has work shops and a showroom
/shop on the premises.
Workshops: Mon-Fri:07:30-14:30; Thurs:15:00-18:00 (except June-August)
Shop: Mon-Fri:07:30-14:30; Thurs:15:00-18:00 (except June-August)
The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre
Apostolou Varnava 19. Housed in the old power station, one of the finest
examples of industrial architecture in Cyprus. The Center's aim is to
promote contemporary creativity at its highest level. Tues-Sat:10:00-15:00;
Agioi Apostoloi Church, Ancient City-Kingdom of Idalion
19Km south of Lefkosia. The church contains some beautiful 12th century
frescoes. Outside the nearby village of Dali lies the ancient
city-Kingdom of Idalion, which is under excavation. According to
mythology, Adonis, lover of the goddess Aphrodite, was killed by a wild
boar sent by her jealous husband here.
Politiko village, 20 Km southwest of Lefkosia. Tamasos was a rich
city-Kingdom in ancient Cyprus renowned for its copper mines. Excavations
have brought to light the relics of Aphrodite-Astarte. Tues-Fri:09:00-15:00;
Agios Irakleidios Convent
Politiko village, 0.5 Km from the Royal Tombs. When Saints Paul and
Barnabas came to Cyprus, they were guided to Tamassos by Irakleidios. He
was martyred and buried in the cave where he had lived and preached. The
monastery, founded in 400 AD, was destroyed and rebuilt several times
until Archbishop Chrysanthos renovated it in 1773. The relics of the
saints are kept in a silver case.
41 Km south of Lefkosia through Deftera and Pera villages. Founded by two
monks in 1148, when an icon of the Virgin Mary was found in a nearby
cave, the monastery is set in a picturesque dip in the Machairas Mountains.
1.5 Km east of Gourri village (Machairas Lefkosia Road via Klirou). The
village has been declared an ancient monument to preserve the remarkable
woodwork and folk architecture of the 16th- and 18th-century houses. Some
of the houses received the Europa Nostra Award in 1987. Opening times vary.
Odos Aristokyprou 35, Nicosia
RETURN TO THE TOURISM PAGE
RETURN TO THE CYPRUS ACCESS PANEL