PAPHOS REGION IN A SNAPSHOT
Paphos District Archaelogical Museum
Griva Digeni 43. Attractive collection of Cypriot antiquities - Neolithic Age to 1700 A.D.
Mon-Fri: 07:30-14:30 and 15:00-17:00; Thurs: 14:00-17:00
A. Ioannou 7. Icons from the 12th to 18th centuries.
Mon-Sat: 09:00-12:30; Mon-Fri: 14:00-17:00
(June - September) 16:00-19:00
Exo Vrysis 1. From the Neolithic Age to the present day.
Mon-Sat: 09:00-13:00; Mon-Fri:14:00-17:00
(May - September) 15:00-19:00; Sun: 10:00-13:00
Tombs of the kings
Kato Paphos. These impressive underground tombs date back to the 4th century B.C. They are
carved out of solid rock, some decorated with Doric pillars. The magnificence of the tombs
gives the locality its name.
Mon-Fri: 07:30-17:00; Sat-Sun: 09:00-17:00
Agia Solomoni Church
Kato Paphos, Leoforos Agiou Pavlou. Originally a Christian catacomb retaining 12th century
frescoes. A sacred tree is believed to cure the sick.
The Mosaics of Paphos
Kato Paphos, near the harbor. The mosaic floors are considered among the finest in the
Eastern Mediterranean. They mainly depict scenes from Greek mythology.
Mon-Fri: 07:30-17:00; Sat-Sun: 09:00-17:00
Kato Paphos. A 2nd century odeon built of limestone. Now used in the summer for music and
theater. Nearby, the remains of ancient city walls and the Roman Agora.
Kato Paphos, near the harbor. Built by the Lusignans in the 13th centuryon the site of a
previous Byzantine castle. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.
Paphos Medieval Fort
Kato Paphos harbor. A Byzantine fort built to protect the harbor. Rebuilt by the Lusignans.
Dismantled by the Venetians in 1570 and rebuilt by the Ottomans in the 16th century.
Mon-Fri: 07:30-14:30; Thurs: 15:00-18:00; Sat-Sun: 09:00-17:00
Panayia Crysopolitissa Church
Kato Paphos. Built in the 13th century over the ruins of the largest early-Byzantine
basilica on the island. Within the compound one can see St. Paul's Pillar, where according
to tradition Saint Paul was flogged, before the Roman Governor Sergious Paulus was
converted to Christianity.
Ayia Paraskevi Church
Geroskipou village, 3 km east of Paphos. Byzantine church dating to the
10th century, a basilica surmounted by five domes forming a cross, with
beatiful 15th century murals.
Sanctuary of Aphrodite
Kouklia village, 14 km east of Paphos, off the Limassol-Paphos road.
Palaipaphos, Old Paphos, was a celebrated pilgrimage center of the ancient
Greek world. Here stood the Sanctuary of Aphrodite, which dates back to
the 12th century B.C.
Mon-Fri: 07:30-17:00; Sat-Sun: 09:00-16:00
Petra tou Romiou (Aphrodite's Rock
Birthplace of Aphrodite according to Greek mythology. 25 km east of
Paphos. Legend dictates tha Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, rose
from the waves in this strikingly beautiful spot. The Greek name "Petra
tou Romiou", or "The Roch of the Greek", is associated with the legendary
Byzantian frontier-quard, Digenis Akritas.
5 km from Paphos. At Lempa village excavations have brought to light an
important settlement of the Chalcolithic period. Near the site replicas of
two houses have been constructed.
Agios Georgios Basilica and the fountains of Pegeia. Pegeia village, 19 km
northwest of Paphos. 4.5 km from the village are the ruins of two early
Christian basilicas with mosaic floors. Pegeia village is famous for its
fountains in the stone-paved village square.
Agios Neophytos Monastery
9 km north of Paphos. Founded at the end of the 12th century by the
Cypriot hermit and writer Neophytos. The "Egkleistra", an enclosure carved
out of the mountain, contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating
from the 12th to 15th century. In the monastery's church there is an
interesting ecclesiastical museum.
40 km notheast of Paphos. The monastery, originally founded in the 12th
century A.D., is dedicated to "Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate". The
building dates back to 1770 and has a collection of important icons and
treasures. Religious celebrations are held on the 15th of August. The old
winery produces some of the best vintage wine of Cyprus.
On the west of Troodos 1,5 km from Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery. The
birthplace of Archbishop Makarios III, first President of the Republic of
Cyprus. The house where he was born has been converted into a museum.
37 km north of Paphos. Polis tis Chrysochou lies where there once stood
the ancient city-kingdom of Marion. Its beautiful climate, crystal clear
beaches and breathtaking scenery have made the area an attractive popular
Baths of Aphrodite
Akamas Peninsula, near Polis, 48 km north of Paphos. According to legend,
the goddess Aphrodite used to take her beauty baths in a pool of a natural
grotto, shaded by a fig tree, which can still be visited. Nature trails
set off from Akams to lead nature lovers to incomparable views of
Odos Glasdonos 3
Tel: (06) 232841
Tel: (06) 422833
RETURN TO THE TOURISM PAGE
RETURN TO THE CYPRUS ACCESS PANEL