|CHRISTOFOROS SAVVA (1924-1968)|
Born in Marathovounos. In 1943 he joined the Cyprus Regiment
and fought in WW2. At his discharge in 1946, he was given the
opportunity to travel to England.
In 1948 he enrolled at St. Martin's School of Art and the following
year at heatherley's School, where he studied for the next six
In 1954 he returned to Cyprus and exhibited his work for the first
time, together with his friend Roddy Maude-Roxby at the British
In 1956 he decided to leave for Paris where he studied at Andre
Lhote's Atelier. In 1959 he returned to Cyprus for good.
In 1960 he opened together with his friend Glyn Hughes ŤApofasi
Galleryť and was instrumental in the establishment of the
Pancyprian Union of Art Lovers and E.KA.TE (Cyprus Chamber of
Fine Arts) he participated in a great number of exhibitions in
Cyprus and abroad.
Shortly before his death he represented Cyprus at the Venice
He was undoubtedly one of the leading figures of Cypriot Art.
Alexandros Xydis writes: ŤAn ingenious talent reminiscent of
Picasso's protean genius, only he lived half his years. Whatever
hetakes in his hands turns into art, whether it be paint or fabric,
cement or pinsť.