PART VIII.-THE FORCES OF THE REPUBLIC
1. The Republic shall have an army of two thousand men of whom sixty per centum shall be Greeks and forty per centum shall be Turks.
2. Compulsory military service shall not be instituted except by common
agreement of the President and the VicePresident of the Republic.
1. The security forces of the Republic shall consist of the police and gendarmerie and shall have a contingent of two thousand men which may be reduced or increased by common agreement of the President and the VicePresident of the Republic.
2. The security forces of the Republic shall be composed as to seventy per centum of Greeks and as to thirty per centum of Turks:
Provided that for an initial period and in order not to discharge those
Turks serving in the police on the 11th February, 1959, except those serving
in the auxiliary police, the percentage of Turks may be kept up to a maximum
of forty per centum and consequently that of the Greeks may be reduced
to sixty per centum.
1. The Heads and Deputy Heads of the army, the police and the gendarmerie of the Republic shall be appointed jointly by the President and the VicePresident of the Republic.
2. One of the Heads of the army, the police and the gendarmerie shall
be a Turk and where the Head of the army, the police and the gendarmerie
belongs to one Community the Deputy Head shall belong to the other Community.
Forces which are stationed in parts of the territory of the Republic inhabited in a proportion approaching one hundred per centum only by members of one Community shall belong to that Community.
Donate $5 to $20 to Kypros-Net|