Draft Exchange of Notes between the Representative of me
United Kingdom authorised to sign the Treaty of Establishment and Archbishop Makarios and
.-Draft Note to Archbishop Makarios and Dr. Kutchuk
I have the honour to refer to Section 2 of Annex A to the
Treaty concerning the Establishment of the Republic of Cyprus of today's date and
to propose that the arrangements set out in the following paragraphs of this Note shall
apply to the Boundary Commission referred to in that Section.
2. The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain
and Northern Ireland and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus shall appoint 'their
respective representatives for the Boundary Commission as soon as possible after the entry
into force of the Treaty under reference and, in any event, not later than 14 days
thereafter. The Boundary Commission shall begin its work as soon as possible after the
appointment of the representatives and, in any event, not later than one month after the
entry into force of that Treaty.
3. Each Government shall appoint such number of
representatives not exceeding two as they see fit, and may appoint technical advisers to
assist their representatives.
4. The remuneration and expenses of the representatives of
each Government shall be paid by the Government which appoints them. All other expenses of
the Boundary Commission, including the cost of marking the boundary and any fees and
expenses of any independent expert appointed pursuant to paragraph 4 of Section 2 of Annex
A to that Treaty, shall be borne in equal shares by the two Governments.
5. If either Government desires to refer a point in dispute
to an independent expert to be appointed pursuant to paragraph 4 of Section 2 of Annex A
to that Treaty, the two Governments will endeavour to reach agreement on the expert to be
appointed; if, however, the two Governments are unable to reach agreement within one month
of the request of either Government for the appointment of an independent expert, either
Government may request the Swiss Government to nominate an independent expert for the
purpose of determining the questions in dispute and the two Governments shall accept the
person so nominated as the independent expert for the purpose of that paragraph.
6. I have the honour to suggest that, if these arrangements are acceptable to the Government of the Republic of Cyprus, this Note, together with your reply to that effect, shall be regarded as constituting an agreement in this matter between the Government of the United Kingdom and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus which shall enter into force on today's date.
B.-Draft Reply by Archbishop Makarios and Dr.
We have the honour to acknowledge receipt of your Note of
today's date which reads as follows:-
[text as above]
2. The arrangements set out in that Note are acceptable to
the Government of the Republic of Cyprus and we have the honour therefore to confirm that
your Note, together with this reply, shall constitute an agreement accordingly.
Find Cyprus! Custom Google Search for Cyprus|