Picture of Guest User
Vocabulary
by Guest User - Thursday, 19 January 2006, 06:05 PM
  Γεια σας, αγαπητοί αναγνώστες

When using this course, I found that I was constantly referring back to previous lessons or to dictionaries to look up the meaning of words. The words had usually been introduced (with translations) in another lesson, but I had not yet learnt them fully.

So in an attempt to reduce frustration, I compiled a list of words used in each lesson. I found this so useful, I decided to go a step further and make the list exhaustive.

My list now contains *every* greek word used in lessons 1 to 15. The words have been extracted by computer from Aren Bron's excellent transcripts, and sorted into alphabetical order. Each word has the number of the lesson in which it first appears. Then I have added a translation for each word. I did most of these from memory so I hope I haven't made too many errors.

The list does not yet contain any explicit grammatical information (eg class of word, case, number, gender etc etc). I may add this later. It does contain some implicit info where english has a corresponding inflection (eg plurals are shown for nouns and genitives are shown by use of an apostrophe). I have marked words which I believe to be spelling mistakes with asterisks **. Virtually all of these involve a misplaced stress.

The list is in tab-delimited Unicode text format. This can be read by modern spreadsheet programs, eg Excel 2000 and newer, allowing you to sort into whichever order you wish. It should also load into Wordpad from Win98 onwards.

I hope its useful to other learners.

Stuart
Picture of Guest User
Re: Vocabulary
by Guest User - Monday, 23 January 2006, 11:57 AM
  The upload on my previous post didn't work because the board doesn't like the null bytes in unicode files.

So here it is again in rich text format. This should load into any modern word processor. It won't easily load into spreadsheets though.

Again, I hope its useful to other learners and your comments are welcome. I am slowly extending it to course 102.

Stuart
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 23 January 2006, 04:26 PM
  Hello Stuart,

it's a bunch of work you investigated to support the community. Thank's a lot.

To improve the usefullness of your collection it would be helpfull to add the articles to the nouns because it's essential to know the gender of the respective noun.

Have a nice 2006 (it's not too late for good wishes, isn't it)

Greetings from Meppen, Germany

Heiner

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 23 January 2006, 04:33 PM
  Please sustitute the word "investigated" by "invested" in my last posting. I discovered this mistake after the mail has been posted.

Sorry

Heiner
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 24 January 2006, 07:37 AM
  Wow, also a bit of work - the funny thing is, that I did the same, just a bit different. I put it into the forum of Lesson 1 so that beginners can find it easyly.
Rebecca
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 25 January 2006, 01:03 AM
  Thanks so much! How wonderful of you to share your work! All the best...