Picture of Guest User
HELP PLSSS!!! :(
by Guest User - Saturday, 28 October 2006, 06:09 AM
  i am new on this site..and i don't understand how to learn greek..please explain me everything..because i am a pupil and i don't understand anything!!!sos!!
Picture of Karin Petersen
Re: HELP PLSSS!!! :(
by Karin Petersen - Wednesday, 1 November 2006, 07:15 AM
  Hi and welcome!

First of all, take it easy, don't panic. Start by learning the alphabet, and don't rush. It's a lot to take in, but if you decide to learn a few letters properly each day, you soon will master them all. Take a look at these sites:

www.theodorou.freeserve.co.uk/greekcyp/contents.htm

with several nice lessons where you just click on the letters and letter combinations to hear how they sound. Don't forget to try their Activity Centre as well!

www.xanthi.ilsp.gr/filog/

is a site where you also can see little films showing how the letters should be written.

Then you can start using the lessons on this site:

Open two browser windows! That's what I do. In one window I read the notes, and in the other window I start the audio, so that I can read while listening. I also print the notes out, so that I can read and work with them even without the audio. I would strongly recommend that you use Aren Bron's transcripts, which are more accurate than the original notes. You'll find the transcrips in the discussion forum for each lesson.

Do this over and over again, until you feel that you can read at the same speed as they're talking.

I translate the Greek notes into Swedish, and then I try to translate my Swedish text back into Greek. When I can do that, I'm finished with that lesson and can move on to next. I usually spend about one week working with each lesson, before I feel that I know it well enough to move on. (Then I don't do anything at all for several weeks, but that's another story... )

In addition to this, I listen to a lot of Greek music and try to understand what they're singing. You'll find lots of Greek radio stations at:

www.e-radio.gr

My personal favourite is www.ellinikosfm.gr where they play all my favourite singers. This is a great way to make your ears get used to hearing the Greek language. At first, it was all just a great blur, but now I even understand most of the commercials!

When you have picked up a few favourite songs, it's time to find the lyrics to them. A lot of lyrics can be found at

www.stixoi.info/index.php

I know, I know, it's all in Greek... but if you look in the upper left corner, you'll find the word Αλφαβητικά. Click on that, and you'll get the Greek alphabet. Just click on the first letter of the song title, and then you can start searching.

If you feel that you're stuck, don't hesitate to ask your questions in the forum for each lesson. There are a lot of people willing to help you.

Good luck!

Regards,
Karin
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 18 December 2007, 06:48 PM
  Thank you Karin for the useful tips - you are great smile

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 16 November 2006, 06:05 AM
  It is very useful to read Gregs "FYI" here he clarifies errors in ABrons transcripts and/or explains grammatical concepts that are not easily to grasp or don't appear in the Lessons - look out for these posts.