Picture of Guest User
Greek and French
by Guest User - Wednesday, 27 December 2006, 09:17 AM
  I can send and receive emails with Greek letters, but somethimes (not always) messages which I receive in French have all the accented letters replaced by Greek letters or by bars. I'm afraid to change my settings because I want to continue to be able to receive in Greek. Does anyone know why this is? Have you experienced it with other languages with accented letters? Once I wanted to write something in French here, but the accented letters were changed, making the words inintelligible. (Boîte (box) comes out boξτε, for example.) Thanks for passing on any ideas you might have!

In this message, when I decided to edit it, I found that in my original message the word boîte was something completely different. What's going on?
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Greek and French
by Guest User - Wednesday, 27 December 2006, 12:48 PM
  what operating system, browser and email client do you use?
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Greek and French
by Guest User - Thursday, 28 December 2006, 04:28 AM
  I use Windows XP family edition, Internet Explorer for the browser and Outlook 2003 for email. Thanks for answering.
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Greek and French
by Greg Brush - Friday, 29 December 2006, 02:59 AM
  This sounds like a Character Encoding issue. Check to see what Character Encoding your browser and email are using. In Internet Explorer (and possibly Outlook 2003 as well), the setting should be under View/Encoding.

For reliable English/French, you'll want Western (ISO-8859-1); for Greek, either ISO-8856-7 or Windows-1253. If all else fails, try sending in Unicode (UTF-8). You may well have to experiment a bit before you find a procedure that works reliably.

Finally, it shouldn't make a difference that you're in France and (presumably) using a French Internet provider, but I can't rule out the possibility that this is somehow causing the problem.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 29 December 2006, 02:19 PM
  Thanks very much, Greg. I set the encoding at Greek (ISO) and the character choice as Courier New, as advised by the very helpful site, http://www.hri.org. But my browser also gives me the choice of Greek (Windows). I can try to experiment with the others you mention.

The problem may well have something to do with the French browser, which is Orange (formerly Wanadoo) and the characters they choose for certain messages. Is there anyone else living in France and trying to learn Greek who has had a similar problem?
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 29 December 2006, 06:13 PM
  correction:

My typo above should be Greek, ISO-8859-7
___

definitions:

Actually, your browser (the program you use to view webpages on your computer screen) is Internet Explorer. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider, the communications connection onto the Internet) is the French company Orange S.A., a subsidiary of France Telecom.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 30 December 2006, 02:42 AM
  ακριβώς! με συγχωρειτε.