Picture of Peter Hesford
sending e-mails in Greek
by Peter Hesford - Tuesday, 1 July 2008, 01:21 PM
  Please can any advise? I have been trying to send e-mails in Greek to Crete but have not been successful. Can anyone help please ? Petros
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: sending e-mails in Greek
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 2 July 2008, 01:28 AM
  In what, specifically, are you unsuccessful?

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Peter Hesford
by Peter Hesford - Wednesday, 2 July 2008, 04:19 AM
  Thanks for your contact. The problem seems to be that the system does not accept or recognise the font of a different alphabet i.e. Greek. Is there a means of making it accept a change in alphabet by some process?
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 2 July 2008, 10:49 AM
  Yes.

1.) After you have finished typing your email, highlight the entire text (including anything typed in Greek) and select a font, such as Times New Roman, which includes the Unicode-defined set of accented Greek characters.

2.) Change the Character Encoding for the entire message to Unicode (UTF-8). In Outlook and Outlook Express, for example, this choice is found in Format/Character Encoding/More; in Mozilla, it is located in View/Character Encoding/Customize.

3.) When you are ready to send it off, you will have several choices as to mail format -- send it as "HTML only". This will send your email in HTML, so that all Greek font formatting (including styles such as bold, italic, and underline) will be preserved.

The recipient of your email should now see the message exactly as you wrote it.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Peter Hesford
by Peter Hesford - Thursday, 3 July 2008, 04:27 AM
  Greg, Many thanks for providing the instructions for sending e-mails in Greek , having followed your guide lines I have now had successful results.
Much appreciated, Regards, Peter Hesford

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 7 November 2008, 10:21 AM
  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tayl0010/polytonic-greek-inputter.html

This is an interessant and useful tool for sending e-mail.

Good luck, Rachele from Italy
Picture of Peter Hesford
by Peter Hesford - Saturday, 8 November 2008, 12:54 PM
  Rachele,
Many thanks for your e-mail regarding sending e-mails in Greek which is very helpful. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been unable to communicate with Learn Greek Online for some time. The problem now seems to be resolved.
Regards, Peter.