Picture of Guest User
Don't use Real Audio
by Guest User - Tuesday, 23 September 2008, 07:57 AM
  I just discovered that your lessons use Real Audio, which means I won't be able to use them. I recommend that you convert the audio files to MP3 format.

I use an Apple computer, and Real Audio doesn't write good software for the Apple. I've tried it several times, and it always tries to take over privileges I don't give it and install extra items that I don't want -- and they used to even try to monitor what I was doing and made it difficult to uninstall their software, so I will not support that company and load new versions on my computers.

This looks like a wonderful site, so I greatly regret that I will not be able to use it.
Picture of Guest User
Re: Don't use Real Audio
by Guest User - Saturday, 29 November 2008, 10:04 PM
  Yes, Real Audio gives so many problems on every computer, not just Apple! That is why not many sites use it anymore. It really has become outdated.
This site has itself become outdated, as the owners themselves admit on some pages. It is time for a make-over.
Note that this isn't a malicious complaint, I'll even offer to help rebuild this site if requested!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 19 August 2009, 01:26 AM
  Get the files at
http://www.cybc.com.cy/html/learn_greek/../../../learngreek/audio/Lesson001.wma

(yeah bloody .wma format but you should be able to read it)
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 17 January 2011, 11:59 AM
  This is brilliant. Unexpected quality. I tried Real Player and its audio (it's worse than the reviews) for two days and was about to quit this excellent website. This WMA file is a saviour.

Cheers Nicolas

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 11:03 PM
  I am in the same position as Chuck. I regret that I won't be able to use this site until the audio format is updated. Real Player is a hassle to use on a Mac.

There is software out there which will convert the Real Audio format to .mp3 or .wma, but the audio isn't available for download.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 04:12 AM
  I also request that you get rid of the Real media format. Please convert everything to (eg) plain mp3 or wma etc.

Real audio is a pain in the neck and is pretty much a dying format.
Picture of Charles Smyth
by Charles Smyth - Monday, 2 January 2012, 06:00 AM
  The *.mp3 format is the most universally compatible format to deploy. The *.rm format is an excellent format, but is problematic because it and/or the players and/or codecs are not particularly well supported in anything other than Windows and/or Linux.

The choice of file format was also problematic because of licensing requiremets that could be reliably enforced against public broadcasters, such as CyBC, which cooperates with this site.
Picture of Nikhil Maheshwari
by Nikhil Maheshwari - Thursday, 15 July 2010, 11:15 PM

I completely agree with this problem that the users are facing.The real player is not good enough. Like other users I cannot take the advantage of listening the audios and unless I listen the audios I will not be able to carry on my Greek learning and there is no scope for improvement because being a native of an Asian country like India and being an English speaker it is crucial for me to listen to the audios to learn the pronunciation.

No doubts, the site is really awsome and can hep anyone who is interested in learning good Greek.

It is a request, please change the audio format to MP3.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Picture of Mike Bilton
by Mike Bilton - Sunday, 5 September 2010, 06:38 PM
  Whats the status on this request?
I've only recently joined but am beginning to wonder if I should look elsewhere. I don't want to as it's got tremendous potential but can't believe it's stuck in the real player era.
Anyway any plans to proved MP3 anytime soon?
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 6 September 2010, 04:50 PM
  If the Real Audio versions are problematic for you and you have a Windows machine, use the higher-quality Windows Media Player versions (.wma) available on the Cyprus Broadcasting Corp. site at:
http://www.cybc.com.cy/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=90

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Mike Bilton
by Mike Bilton - Sunday, 12 September 2010, 04:48 PM
  Thanks anyway for the suggestion although not any use to me as I'm using a Linux based machine. I've managed to install plugins that make it playable, the only glitch is once the lesson is started I have to play it through to the end as Pause etc don't work. But still I'm working on that.

Mike
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 13 September 2010, 11:20 AM
  If using Linux, try VLC Player from VideoLAN. VLC Player has codecs to play Real Audio files, has the player controls that are lacking for you now, and is available in versions for Windows, Mac OS X, as well as various Linux distros at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc

Regards,
Greg Brush

Picture of Reb Deacon
by Reb Deacon - Thursday, 13 September 2012, 04:27 AM
  Hi Greg, and others who have helpfully included links. Unfortunately, I come to this forum quite late and the links all seem to have been moved. I too would love to be able to access the .wma or .mp3 files....does anyone have a link to them currently please?
Btw, phenomenal site - so much better than others...apart from the realplayer audio ;)
Many thanks in anticipation of someone's kind help...
Reb
Picture of Karl Tayfer
by Karl Tayfer - Thursday, 13 September 2012, 09:46 PM
  For what I see, they are updating the site. It seems the link will be available in http://www.cybc.com.cy/index.php/web-archive?id=148

For what they say, they might be implementing HTML5 audio, so it will be available for the iPad, iPhone and Android too! Let's hope they do it, we will finally be able to use this site with such devices =)
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 19 November 2012, 06:28 PM
  After yet another CyBC site makeover, the direct link to the Audio Lessons is now:
http://www.cybc.com.cy/audio-on-demand/index.php?option=com_videoflow&task=cats&cat=27&layout=grid&sl=categories

Note, however, that the Lessons now play in an embedded Flash-encoded window, so neither Real Player nor Windows Media Player are required to access the audio of these lessons on the CyBC site. Depending on the speed of your connection, you may have to allow as much as 30 seconds to buffer the audio stream before the player begins to smoothly play the Audio Lesson.
Picture of Cruz Pecorella
by Cruz Pecorella - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 06:15 PM

Please don't change the audio... I don't have any problems with this site.

I had problems with CyBC audio lessons connection-- it took quite long and it was noisy...I have Vista and this site is good for me. Actually, very good!

Thank you all,

Cruz

Picture of mickey mcadden
by mickey mcadden - Sunday, 2 December 2012, 06:33 PM
  Umm this problem has been around since I first joined, 2008-2009, and it appears that it now discourages some students.

When I first tried to use the recommended SW I could not get anywhere at all.

Fortunately at the time one could still download the original files to local drives from Cyprus Radio.

So some of us have local copies of some of the lessons. To be fair, once you have the accent down well, there is no need for the audio at all!

But the audio lessons contain so much more for many that make them otherwise useful.

It is great to see that the audio lessons are now easily accessed from the Radio Cyprus website.