Picture of Guest User
English description of how to say the words
by Guest User - Monday, 11 January 2010, 11:08 PM

I think the notes would be better with the English sounding out of the words as well, for example

Alpha (AL-fuh)

Beta (BAY-tuh)

the accents between the male and female differ and its hard to get the word correct

this would be very beneficial

I learnt the Greek alphabet in 10 minutes this way

very easy

thanks

Suzy

Picture of Karin Petersen
Re: English description of how to say the words
by Karin Petersen - Friday, 15 January 2010, 06:57 AM

This suggestion comes now and again from English-speaking students. As a language teacher myself, I have several objections to this. First of all, not all students here have English as a first language, far from it, and these "descriptions" of the pronounciation won't make things easier for them, quite the contrary.

Secondly, the letters are NOT pronounced "AL-fuh, BAY-tuh" etc. This is completely misleading. What you get is Greeklish, a parody of Greek, with an English accent, and that's not what most of us are here to learn.

A better way to learn the Greek alphabet - and learn the proper Greek pronounciation - is to try out these sites:

www.theodorou.freeserve.co.uk/greekcyp/contents.htm

http://www.xanthi.ilsp.gr/filog/ch1/menu.htm

It won't take you much longer to learn this way, and what you learn is REAL Greek.

Regards,

Karin

Picture of Guest User
Re: English description of how to say the words
by Guest User - Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 04:57 PM
  yes,i learned the alphabet from this www.xanthi.ilsp.gr.... but i think these two other cites are not at all good as this one, especially the second one,i can't imagine to learn the way they did it, the alphabet,immeadiately after that 2 verbs, 3 nouns,it's a messy there...there a lot of exercises,very helpful indeed,but maybe after learning the things HERE first,then 'do the homework' there..