Picture of Guest User
Re: Vocabulary: hard-to-find translations of some words
by Guest User - Thursday, 13 January 2011, 04:50 PM
  I would agree with Arshak. I'm almost sure too that σεβνταλής has Turkish origins and together with the phrase "πόσο λάθος με μετράς" they are the two slang-like words/expressions used in the song.

All the other words are used both in literature and oral speach, although they can be a bit tricky for a non-native speaker when he/she looks them up in a greek-english dictionary as they might not be there (eg. ψυχοπαίδι, παραγιός).

Something that really helped me when I was learning German was to search the meanings of words in German dictionaries, where the explanation is also given in German. It can be more difficult in the beginning, but I think it helps more.

Kind regards,
Jim
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 14 January 2011, 04:31 AM

Thank you so much for both of you. This is a very nice forum to learn greek language and your explanations are great.

I know slang.gr but even in there I couldn't find some words , sometimes.

I agree, it is useful to learn a foreign language by means of the explanations in that language. Once I did that way too when I was learning english.

And I like Dionisiou too. Very nice music. Still there are so many other great greek musicians...

Best regards,

George

Picture of Arshak Davidian
by Arshak Davidian - Friday, 14 January 2011, 08:53 AM
  You are welcome! And thanks to you, since when anybody brings forth a language question helps others as well by bringing into attention words, expressions and details which they might not know... It goes both ways.