Picture of Carl Janssen
When I sign up for a course what am I commiting to?
by Carl Janssen - Sunday, 20 November 2011, 05:44 AM
  I just registered as a user and did not sign up for a course yet.

When I click on a course it asks if I want to enroll?

When I enroll what am I committing to?

Can I go at my own speed slow or fast when I sign up for a course?

If there are deadlines and grades does that mean I should make sure I have enough allotted time available before signing up for a course?

Can I get any credit for the courses at any accredited institutions and if so do I ruin my opportunities for credit if I just sign up for a course and then get poor grades or do not do the coursework if there are grades? And then if I try again later (after getting poor grades on a previous enrollment if there are grades) when I have more time will I have a ruined record?

Is there a commitment to the online community or instructors if I enroll for a course such that if I enroll and then do not put much effort in it is mean to the community?

The reason I posted it under technical questions is because it is not a language question
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: When I sign up for a course what am I commiting to?
by Greg Brush - Monday, 21 November 2011, 10:17 AM
  a) When you enroll in a course, you gain access to the content of that course. You must enroll in any course that you want access to.

b) You can go at your own speed, take as long as you want, and return repeatedly to review anything that you've enrolled in.

c) There are no deadlines, and there are no grades. Again, you can take as long as you want or need for any portion of the course.

d) There is no formal connection between the LGO course and any academic institution, so it is unlikely that you would receive any academic credit on the basis of your LGO efforts alone. Such credit would likely be granted by an accredited institution only on the basis of some kind of test that they administer to ascertain and verify the level of knowledge or ability that you've achieved through your LGO studies.

e) I would certainly hope that if you enroll for a course you have the commitment to follow through with it by listening to the Audio Lessons, reading the Lesson Notes and associated Discussion Forum postings, and doing your best to learn the Lesson Vocabulary. However, that is totally up to you -- no one will check up on you or nanny you for compliance. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't put much effort into it, you are only wasting your own time and cheating yourself of the availability of this amazing free resource.

Hope this answers,
Greg Brush
Picture of Carl Janssen
by Carl Janssen - Monday, 16 July 2012, 08:34 PM
  Thank you for answering my questions.

So I should just enroll in all the courses so I can look at all the material? I do not understand the purpose of enrollment as opposed to just letting everyone look at everything at once without enrollment.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 4 October 2014, 02:19 PM
  While you can access the Audio Lessons and view the Lesson Notes, Resources, and Discussion Forums as a "Guest User", there are certain additional privileges which only apply to enrolled students. For example, you cannot start a Personal Journal nor post a topic or reply in a Discussion Forum if you are not enrolled in the LGO course.

Regards,
Greg Brush