Picture of Guest User
All of a sudden I can't type accents
by Guest User - Monday, 28 November 2011, 09:31 PM
  I used to be able to type accents using MS Word. But all of a sudden, I can't. I type the "semi-colon" key and then the vowel, but all I get is what looks like a double quotation mark and the vowel separately. I am running Win7 and have the Greek keyboard chosen. I tried to remove and re-install the Greek keyboard, but it had no effect. Any ideas on what may have happened?

This is what it looks like when I try to type it now: http://imgur.com/F4Axj

Thanks!

-george

Picture of Greg Brush
Re: All of a sudden I can't type accents
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 29 November 2011, 01:17 AM
  It appears from your weblink that the composed characters (accent + vowel) are not being properly combined; instead, they're showing as the individual keystrokes.

Use Win7 WordPad, select Greek keyboard input, and try to type the accent + vowel in a WordPad document. Does that work? If not, do you get the same result as with Word?

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 29 November 2011, 02:07 AM
  Thanks for the reply, Greg. I have tried this in WordPad and Notepad, with the same results. So it is not a Microsoft Word specific problem. I've been doing some mad googling to try to find the solution to this problem. From what I can tell, it's almost like the so-called "dead keys" aren't being processed as such. I'm really baffled. I have another Win7 machine where everything works properly. I've compared every setting I can think of, and can't see any differences.

I'm considering re-installing Windows just to see if that fixes something that might have gotten corrupted.

-george

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 29 November 2011, 10:32 AM
  1.) Re: "it's almost like the so-called 'dead keys' aren't being processed..."
While keyboards don't normally go bad, it's certainly possible that some portion of your keyboard or its on-board processor has suddenly failed, so if you can, swap out the keyboard with another known-good one, and see if that works.

2.) If #1 has no effect, another thing you can try is to uninstall the keyboard itself as a hardware device, then have Windows redetect and reinstall it. Here's how to do that:
a) Disconnect the keyboard, uninstall the keyboard in Device Manager, then shut down the computer with the mouse.
b) Reconnect the keyboard, then restart the computer and let Win7 redetect and reinstall the keyboard driver(s).
c) Reinstall Greek keyboard support in "Control Panels / Regions & Languages / Keyboards and Languages", then try typing composed (accented) letters again.

Did any of this work?

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 29 November 2011, 02:54 PM
  Thanks for the ideas. The problem happened even with the on-screen keyboard, so it was not hardware.

I discovered that the problem was user profile-specific. I was getting ready to back up the profile, create a new one, and then restore the files, and then realized I hadn't yet tried a System Restore. I ran a System Restore to a point in time a few days ago, and the problem is gone. So I don't know what happened, but a System Restore did the trick for me.