Picture of Nini La
Re: I need Christmas greetings in Greek!
by Nini La - Saturday, 14 January 2012, 01:29 PM
  Guys, I feel I need to put my 2 cents into this question even though I'm late and its past the holidays!  But Xronia Polla is used for holidays as well, greek people say it all the time.  It is not just for birthdays. 

Also, after viewing some of the previous answers, I am seeing that a lot of people are translating their Greek by using English phrases/sentences and then translating exactly word for word and then it just does not make sense in greek.  For example the Happy New Year translation someone posted above.....Greek people simply say "Kalh Xronia" or "Kalh Protoxrwnia".  That's it, everything else that is too technical like some of the above comments just sounds weird in Greek.  Also, Xronia Polla is said too for happy new year, and you can also add "Kalh uyeia" which means "Good health" and it is said a lot on holidays accompanied with "xronia polla". 

I hope I didn't confuse anyone or offend anyone, I am Greek and on this forum to learn more but I do know a lot as I used to go to Greece every year as a child and still am surrounded by many Greeks, but I feel I need to brush up on my Greek quite a bit.