Picture of Blake More
Re: proud of you
by Blake More - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 07:46 PM

Brenda ... I kinda think you'd be better off using a verb rather than είμαι plus adjective. Here's what my dictionary has to offer, and I think it is structurally equivalent to what you want:

Περηφανεύομαι  για το γιο μου "I am proud of my son" (with για).

GW.....BM

Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 08:01 PM

So, to say "I'm proud of you" ...Περηφανεύομαι για σένα?

What dictionary are you using, Blake? That verb is not even in mine!

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 09:46 PM
  I think that would be right. My dictionary here (I'm using several) is the Oxford Greek-English learner's Dictionary by D.N. Stavropoulos. οne way G to E ... another volume handles, apparently, G to E. Oxfor puts out several G-E, E-G dictionaries. By the way, please check out every piece of info I offer you because I suspect you are somewhat πιο ανώτερη than I.        Good Wishes ...  Blake More
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Friday, 30 November 2012, 06:25 AM
  Thanks for your help, Blake. I've done a bit of digging and as far as I can tell the verb περηφανεύομαι seems to have a connotation of boasting, showing off, being arrogant and that's not what I'm looking for here. I really want to use the adjective but I'm just not clear on the "of you" aspect of it. I've been away from this forum for awhile...do any "advanced or native" Greek speakers monitor it anymore?
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Friday, 30 November 2012, 11:54 AM

Brenda ........ I am pretty sure Greg Brush is still around. If you write to the forum and mention that you want him to help you, I think he will answer you with something very useful.

As far as I can make out, both the noun and the adjective we are talking about have the connotation of boasting or being arrogant. They both seem to spread out into at least two semantic fields. But still, I would like to read some observations by GB on this whole matter.

Good wishes,

Blake More

Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Friday, 30 November 2012, 01:22 PM

I've just been told by a Greek speaking person that the correct way to say "I'm proud of you" is "Είμαι περήφανη για σένα".

Thanks, again, for your input!