Picture of Robert Jones
Re: στίγμα letter
by Robert Jones - Wednesday, 17 December 2014, 03:38 PM
  Hi again Greg, I am very pleased to know that. I have no problem with that, in fact I find it laudable and extremely refreshing. I am of the opinion that Greece is losing (has lost) quite a bit of its "Greekness" in the 30 years since I first visited. The EEC and the Euro being partly responsible I guess. Of course, I can only speak as a tourist but there seems to be a homogeneity among the resorts and even lesser-known destinations. Never get invited into the kitchen to see what's cooking, the ferries have escalators, buses run bang on time, I suppose one shouldn't live in the past and I still adore the country and always will. Long may they hold on to everything that is traditional and that includes alphabetical/numerical 'eccentricities' . I even dislike the STOP signs in English! The names of roads being in English as well as Greek used to discourage me from attempting to pronounce them but I am better at that now. One day I hope to be able to compose a similar missive to this entirely in Greek; that day is I fear,a long way off yet.

Thanks once again

Robert