Picture of Sarah Jane
Written out pronunciations
by Sarah Jane - Friday, 4 December 2015, 03:16 AM
  This is a great site and I am already learning heaps!
I think it would be great to have how to pronounce the Greek words in English.
So breaking down the words into English pronunciations so I can read the pronunciations as I listen to the audio files.
Thanks you! smile
Picture of Karin Petersen
Re: Written out pronunciations
by Karin Petersen - Saturday, 12 December 2015, 10:53 AM
  If you try to write the Greek words in the Latin alphabet, trying to find the nearest English sounds, you would get "Greeklish", i.e. Greek with an English accent, as not all Greek sounds have an English equivalent. That is not something you would like, really. And don't forget that a lot of the students taking this course do NOT have English at our first language, so trying to write the Greek with English pronounciation would not mean anything to us. In fact, it would make it more difficult to learn how to pronounce Greek properly.

Spend a couple of hours working on the Greek alphabet instead, it's well worth it. This site is very good and gives you some entertaining practice:

http://www.theodorou.freeserve.co.uk/greekcyp/contents.htm

After finishing the lessons, don't forget to click the "Activity Centre" icon to the right. wink

And every time you read the words of the chapter while you listen to it, you'll get better and better at it. I promise! Either print the lessons out or open two browser windows with the text in one and the sound in one. Read and listen to one sentence at a time, stop and try to repeat what you heard. You can repeat this many times until you get the correct pronounciation. It's really only a matter of time and effort on your side. You'll get there. wink

Regards,
Karin