Picture of Guest User
Diphthong Differences Between Latin and Greek
by Guest User - Friday, 3 February 2006, 01:58 AM
  Hey, all!
I was just wondering...in Latin, there's a diphthong ae, pronounced like "aye" or "eye". Does this diphthong exist in Greek, and if so, how is it pronounced? I've heard it said that in Greek it's said like "ehhh" as in "hey", but I don't see this diphthong even listed anywhere on this site. Anyone know?
Thanks!
Jenny
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Diphthong Differences Between Latin and Greek
by Greg Brush - Friday, 3 February 2006, 02:41 PM
  The equivalent diphthong in ancient/Classical Greek was αι and was probably pronounced like English "eye". Historically in Roman times, Classical Greek αι was transliterated into its Latin equivalent, ae, which provided the spellings we know today: Aeschylus (Αισχύλος), Egypt (Latin Aegyptus from ¶ιγυπτος), Aeolia (Αιολία), Aesop (¶ισωπος), and so forth.

However, all the ancient Greek diphthongs eventually simplified down to a single vowel sound. Ancient αι is now pronounced identically with ε, similar to the vowel sound in "bed". Τhe other ancient Greek diphthongs (ει, οι, υι) are all now pronounced identically with ι, similar to the vowel sound in "beet".

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
Re: Diphthong Differences Between Latin and Greek
by Guest User - Saturday, 4 February 2006, 02:26 AM
  Thank you, Greg! It really threw me for a loop at first...coming from a Classical Latin background, it's all...well, Greek to me (I know, I know, it's the worst pun ever).
Thanks so much!
Jenny