by Guest User - Monday, 20 March 2006, 11:28 AM
  how to write my name in Greek?

I am not sure which letter to use for H sad

Thanks for your help.

Hanna
Picture of Guest User
Re: do you know
by Guest User - Monday, 20 March 2006, 04:30 PM
  In lesson 73 the word for hobby is "χόμπι" so I would think that the first letter would be "χ"

Larry
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 20 March 2006, 07:01 PM
  yeap, its X for sure
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 21 March 2006, 04:07 AM
  Hi you two,

many thanks for your help!
I have only started yesterday with the online lessons.
How do you find the online course on this website?
Have you really learned something?

Take care
Hanna
Picture of Guest User
HANNA
by Guest User - Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 08:09 AM
  if your name is heard anna you dont have to put an "X" in front of it. But if it is hanna in greek you have to write "Χάννα".I HOPE THAT I HELPED YOU.
TAKE CARE
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 3 April 2006, 03:55 PM
  Hi,

Hanna begins in Greek with a (alpha) with a rough brathing mark over the a. So, in other words, your name in Greek is Anna, but pronounced He-anna.

Now you can tell everyone you have a real Greek name!

Schmidt is harder. Its like Smith in English. If I ever get the answer to that I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Arthur Smith

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 4 April 2006, 03:11 AM
  What Arthur noted is true for either ancient Greek or katharevousa. In modern Greek we have done away with the breathing marks.

As far as I know, Anna and Hannah are considered two different names. Buuut...
your name would be writen XANNA but I bet most people will end up calling you Anna anyway smile

There's no way to accurately transliterate Schmidt. I am guessing something like Σμιτ or Σμιντ. I think the "official" transliteration would be the second and the unofficial the first.

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 01:12 PM
  Foreign names nowadays are usually transliterated by sound, with the following caveats:
a.) Greek does not have the sounds sh/(zh) or ch/j, which English, French, Italian, and other languages have, so these foreign sounds are transliterated with the closest Greek equivalents: sh > σ, (zh) > ζ, ch > τσ, j > τζ
b.) The voiced consonants b, d, g are now spelled in Greek by the digraphs μπ, ντ, γκ respectively (although this will not apply in your case).
c.) Doubled consonants (like nn) may or may not be doubled by a Greek writer when transliterating; often they are not.

The former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt was known in the Greek press as Χέλμουτ Σμιτ, so your name, Hanna Schmidt, would be Χάνα Σμιτ (if transliterated by sound, as is the norm) or Χάννα Σμιτ (if observing the original spelling).

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 06:56 PM
  Greg,

If I hadn't raised my hand and blurted out the wrong answer I wouldn't have learned this.

"The former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt was known in the Greek press as Χέλμουτ Σμιτ" - that seems to be definative.

And Irene guessed right , I'm coming from ancient Greek to modern. So, I guess Hanna can tell everyone she has an Ancient Greek name!

Arthur
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 6 April 2006, 12:58 AM
  Don't feel bad! I was exactly in your position a couple years ago when I started the LGO course -- transitioning from Classical Attic Greek to modern Demotic. Many of the postings I've put in the various forums are the result of my experiences in learning what people actually say or write in the Modern Greek world, and trying to pass this on to others so they don't have the same difficulties that I did.

Regards,
Greg Brush