Picture of Guest User
greek-english lexicon
by Guest User - Thursday, 30 March 2006, 11:11 PM
  Alright to aid in my learning experience I went to the library and checked out a leixcon and a reader because sometimes i just cant stand to sit in front of the computer any longer. I went to look up "cupboard" because at the time i didnt realize that i had already writted it down....anyway. It wasnt in the lexicon. Are there different forms of greek besides the ancient greek that i keep seeing or am i just using the lexicon wrong?
Picture of Guest User
Re: greek-english lexicon
by Guest User - Friday, 31 March 2006, 03:50 AM
  It seems to me that there are several problems using Greek lexica.
(1) The date of the lexicon. IΆve got a dictionary published in 1970 before the language was reformed and the demotic version was officially adopted in 1976. In this the word for cupboard was given as 'eρμάρι – with a rough breathing (') on the first syllable. These breathings have now disappeared in the reformed, demotic version of the language. So according to the dictionary, if you look up ΅thoughtΆ you could find two forms: the katharevousa (purist) σκεψις and the demotic σκεψη.
(2) The state of the spelling is nowhere as established as in English. Thus in a good dictionary you can find both forms καυμος and καημος (longing)
(3) Small dictionaries will not usually have room to distinguish the various shades of meaning of cupboard αρμαρι, ντουλαπα, ντουλαπι, σκευοθηκη etc.
(4) There are surprising omissions even in medium sized lexica. E.g. The Collins Pocket Greek Dictionary does not have ΅cupboardΆ in it at all!
(5) Sometimes the spoken language develops too fast for a lexicon. For example διαδικτυο is given in my most up to date lexicon as the correct form for the internet. But, see Marshall SchwartzΆs note in lesson 96 ΅The Internet is often referred to as το Δίχτυ. We once tried using what we thought was the more appropriate term, το Δίχτυο, meaning ΅the Network,Ά which in fact it is, but were immediately corrected. We can only suggest you try both in Greece and see what happens.Ά

The two most useful lexica IΆve found in learning Greek are: The Oxford Greek-English LearnerΆs Dictionary and Collins Greek English Dictionary.
Hope this helps. What is really needed is a Greek-speaking friend!
Jim
Picture of Guest User
Re: greek-english lexicon
by Guest User - Friday, 31 March 2006, 01:39 PM
  So so true my freind. I was bored one day and felt like learning something else so i got on the internet and looked up greek. Its relatively easy so far, i just dont want to be mixing two era's of speak. Oh wow, i just went and looked at the date on this lexicon and it is from 1883 just re-compiled. Well it looks like im taking a trip to Barnes and Nobles...