Picture of Guest User
Translation plz
by Guest User - Saturday, 2 September 2006, 05:43 AM
  Hi, can anyone translate some phrases for me (things that I am doing in the day or next day), from English to Greek (but in english font ie. Yiasas).

Today I am going shopping for food/for cloths.
Today I am goint to pay my bills.
Today I am going to the bank/cinema/park.
Today I am going to meet a friend/my boyfriend.
Today I am going to tidy the house and then relax.
Today I am going to meet a friend for a coffee
Today I went to meet my friend for a coffee.
Today I went to the bank/cinema/park.
Today I am working.
Tonight I am making dinner for my boyfriend.

and then all the above but with eigher yesterday (ie yesterday I went to the bank/cinema/park) and tommoro (ie. Tommoro I am going to meet my friend for a coffee.

Thank you,

Jenny
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Sunday, 3 September 2006, 09:34 AM
  In Greek, when you intend to do something, you have to use "future" even if you use the word today (=simera). That's why I transated the the phases given with the greek future form of the verbs instead of the present form. That works for the examples 1-6. In the examples 7-8, the past tense is used because those actions have already taken place during the day. In the examples 9-10, the present tense is used because you are doing those actions while you are speaking. Finally, after each example follows two sentences, the first one starting with "avrio" (=tommorrow) and the second one starting with "xtes" (=yesterday) . When the dots (...) are used, that means you have to continue the sentence in the same way as in the "main" sentence (but without using the words "simera" or "apopse")

1. Today I am going shopping. --> simera tha pao gia psonia (if you want to specify what you are going to buy eg "today I am going shopping for food/for cloths" then you have to say "simera tha pao na psoniso fagito/rouha")

> avrio...
> xtes piga gia psonia

2. Today I am goint to pay my bills. --> simera tha pliroso tous logariasmous.

> avrio ...
> xtes plirosa tous logariasmous.

3. Today I am going to the bank/cinema/park. --> simera tha pao stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko

> avrio ...
> xtes piga stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko

4. Today I am going to meet a friend/my boyfriend. --> simera tha sinantiso ena filo/ to agori mou.

> avrio ...
> xtes sinantisa ena filo/ to agori mou.

5. Today I am going to tidy the house and then relax. --> simera tha sigiriso to spiti kai meta tha ksekourasto.

> avrio ...
> xtes sigirisa to spiti kai meta ksekourastika.

6. Today I am going to meet a friend for a coffee. --> simera tha pao me ena filo gia kafe.

> avrio ...
> xtes piga me ena filo gia kafe.

7. Today I went to meet my friend for a coffee. --> simera piga me ena filo gia kafe

> avrio tha pao me ena filo gia kafe.
> xtes ...

8. Today I went to the bank/cinema/park. --> simera piga stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko

> avrio tha pao stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko
> xtes ...

9. Today I am working. --> simera doulevo

> avrio tha doulevo
> xtes douleva

10. Tonight I am making dinner for my boyfriend. --> apopse etimazo dipno gia to agori mou

> avrio tha etimazo dipno gia to agori mou
> xtes etimasa dipno gia to agori mou
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Greg Brush - Sunday, 3 September 2006, 02:20 PM
  Here are Grigoris' sentences using the Greek alphabet.

In the interest of showing the present/past/future tenses in Greek, I've added the present tense form (i.e., I do something or I'm doing something right now) after the future (avrio) and past (xtes) forms for examples 1 through 8. 'now' is tora = τώρα.

1.) simera tha pao gia psonia. = σήμερα θα πάω για ψώνια.
(simera tha pao na psoniso fagito/rouha. = σήμερα θα πάω να ψωνίσω φαγιτό/ρούχα.)
avrio... = αύριο θα πάω για ψώνια.
xtes piga gia psonia = χτες πήγα για ψώνια.
tora pao/pigaino gia psonia. = τώρα πάω/πηγαίνω για ψώνια.

2.) simera tha pliroso tous logariasmous. = σήμερα θα πληρώσω τους λογαριασμούς.
avrio... = αύριο θα πληρώσω τους λογαριασμούς.
xtes plirosa tous logariasmous. = χτες πλήρωσα τους λογαριασμούς.
tora plirono tous logariasmous. = τώρα πληρώνω τους λογαριασμούς.

3.) simera tha pao stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko = σήμερα θα πάω στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
avrio... = αύριο θα πάω στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
xtes piga stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko. = χτες πήγα στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
tora pao/pigaino ... = τώρα πάω/πηγαίνω στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.

4.) simera tha sinantiso ena filo/ to agori mou. = σήμερα θα συναντήσω ένα φίλο / το αγόρι μου.
avrio... = αύριο θα συναντήσω ένα φίλο / το αγόρι μου.
xtes sinantisa ena filo/ to agori mou. = χτες συνάντησα ένα φίλο / το αγόρι μου.
tora sinanto ena filo/ to agori mou. = τώρα συναντώ ένα φίλο / το αγόρι μου.

5.) simera tha sigiriso to spiti kai meta tha ksekourasto. = σήμερα θα συγυρίσω το σπίτι και μετά θα ξεκουραστώ.
avrio ... = αύριο θα συγυρίσω το σπίτι και μετά θα ξεκουραστώ.
xtes sigirisa to spiti kai meta ksekourastika. = χτες συγύρισα το σπίτι και μετά ξεκουράστηκα.
tora sigirizo to spiti kai meta tha ksekourasto. = τώρα συγυρίζω το σπίτι και μετά θα ξεκουραστώ.

6.) simera tha pao me ena filo gia kafe. = σήμερα θα πάω με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
avrio ... = αύριο θα πάω με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
xtes piga me ena filo gia kafe. = χτες πήγα με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
tora pao/pigaino me ena filo gia kafe. = τώρα πάω/πηγαίνω με ένα φίλο για καφέ.

7.) simera piga me ena filo gia kafe = σήμερα πήγα με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
avrio tha pao me ena filo gia kafe. = αύριο θα πάω με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
xtes ... = χτες πήγα με ένα φίλο για καφέ.
tora pao/pigaino ... = τώρα πάω/πηγαίνω με ένα φίλο για καφέ.

8.) simera piga stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko. = σήμερα πήγα στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
avrio tha pao stin trapeza/ sto sinema/ sto parko. = αύριο θα πάω στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
xtes ... = χτες πήγα στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.
tora pao/pigaino ... = τώρα πάω/πηγαίνω στην τράπεζα/ στο σιμεμά/ στο πάρκο.

9.) simera doulevo. = σήμερα δουλεύω.
avrio tha doulevo. = αύριο θα δουλεύω.
xtes douleva. = χτες δούλευα.

10.) apopse etimazo dipno gia to agori mou. = απόψε ετοιμάζω δείπνο για το αγόρι μου.
avrio tha etimazo dipno gia to agori mou. = αύριο θα ετοιμάζω δείπνο για το αγόρι μου.
xtes etimasa dipno gia to agori mou. = χτες ετοίμασα δείπνο για το αγόρι μου.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Sunday, 3 September 2006, 02:04 PM
  hello,greg.
i see that you are very good in translation.
i need some help too,please!

i want to translate in greek:
"Dear greekfriend,
Do you know that a simple hello can be a sweet one?
-how are you?
-everything all right?
-like to hear from you
-love to see you soon
-obviously,I miss you
So,I just want to say hello and to wish you all the best."

the greeks have other word for " dear"?

thank you.

Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Sunday, 3 September 2006, 04:32 PM
  hi!
here is the translation you've asked:

Dear greekfriend --> αγαπητέ φίλε Έλληνα - agapite file Ellina [actually, that's the litteral translation and it sounds a little bit bizzare Greek- anyway you can say it, but I'd prefer one of the following versions: "αγαπητέ φίλε από Ελλάδα - agapite file apo Ellada" (=dear friend from Greece) or just "αγαπητέ φίλε - agapite file" (=dear friend) -- if you want to say that to a girl you have to use the word "φίλη - fili" instead of "φίλε - file"
and the word "Ελληνίδα - Ellinida" instead of "Έλληνα - Ellina"]

Do you know that a simple hello can be a sweet one? --> το ξέρεις πώς ένα απλό "γεια" μπορεί να είναι πολύ γλυκό/ τρυφερό; - to kseris pos ena aplo gia mpori na ine poli gliko/ trifero;

-how are you? --> "πώς είσαι; - pos ise;" or "τι κάνεις; - ti kanis;"

-everything all right? --> όλα είναι εντάξει; - ola ine entaksi;

-like to hear from you --> θα ήθελα να έχω νέα σου - tha ithela na eho nea sou

-love to see you soon --> θέλω να σε δω σύντομα - thelo na se do sintoma (another way could be: "θέλω να τα πούμε από κοντά σύντομα - thelo na ta poume apo konta sintoma")

-obviously,I miss you --> προφανώς μου λείπεις - profanos mou lipis

So,I just want to say hello and to wish you all the best. --> απλά ήθελα να πω ένα γεια και να σου ευχηθώ τα καλύτερα - apla ithela na po ena gia ke na sou efhitho ta kalitera

As far as your question is concerned (the greeks have other word for " dear"?), I suppose that you mean in the beginning of a letter, so I can't think anything else apart from "αγαπητέ - agapite". But, in case you want to say for example "yes, dear", dear could also be translated as "χρυσέ μου - hrise mou (for a men)/ χρυσή μου - hrisi mou (for a woman)" or "αγάπη μου - agapi mou (for both sexes)"
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Monday, 4 September 2006, 02:55 AM
  hello,grigoris!
thank you so,so,so much for your help.

best wishes
filia

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 4 September 2006, 04:43 AM
  Grigoris and Greg,

Thank you both very much for your translations and explanations. much appreciated. smile

Jenny
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 02:42 AM
  hello,grigoris
i need help again,please!
i was in a church in thessaloniki and i bought a ring,who's got something written on it. i do not understand all of it- it's something about ISUS HRISTOS,the son of GOD.
here are the words:"hypie jhcoy xpicte elehcon me"-it'a possible that i didn't wrote corecctly all the letters.

do you know what it means?-maybe it's -God protect you or God be whith you?
thank you
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 03:41 AM
  Hello Jenny!

ok, finally I find out what it was written on the ring. You bought it from a church, so I suppose they have used the byzantin style of greek letters. I think it says "Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ελέησόν με - Kirie Iisou Hriste eleison me", which means "Lord Jesus Crist, show mercy to me/ have pity on me".

greg (or grigoris)
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 05:08 AM
  hello,greg!

thank again for your help! you've been very nice!
sorry that took you some time to translate.my mistake whith whose letters.
i put that ring on my finger every day since i bougth it-from may.

greg,you are greek,right?
here is my email:corfu_gabriela@yahoo.com
i want to talk to you-to thank you for you help.
can you give me your email?

kiss,kiss
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Translation plz
by Guest User - Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 08:51 AM
  Hi Gabriela! (I suppose that's your name - if not, sorry)

Yes, I'm Greek and I live in Athens. My e-mail is gregoirewise@gmail.com. Feel free to ask whtaever you wish.

kiss,

greg
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 11:19 AM
  -Some more-

The phrase Κύριε ελέησον ("O Lord, have mercy (on us)") comes directly from the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Old Testament, specifically Psalm 123.

The Kyrie ("Kyrie eleison") was the basis for quite a number of musical masses in European classical music in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

The C in IHCOY XPICTE EΛEHCON is the "lunate sigma" (curved, "moonshaped" Σ) that is, as Grigoris mentions, typical of Byzantine manusript writing and still in use for Greek Orthodox references to Biblical quotations.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 6 September 2006, 03:28 AM
  hi,greg b.!
thanks for help.
regards,
gaby