Picture of Guest User
Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Wednesday, 1 November 2006, 05:14 PM
  Με λένε Ιουστίνος. Ραρακαλο...

I have a few holes in my greek... I can read the greek alphabet so don't hesitiate to write in greek characters, I find it helps me pronounce it MUCH better than transliterated english characters...

I know that the greek for "I think" is Νομίζο --- but I can't figure out how to say "I Thought" past tense.

Also.. does Hiriazome translate literally as "I need"?

Also, there seems to be many words people use for Happy, Sad, Angry... etc.. When people are trying to help you learn, including in books, they often give you substitute words instead of literal words. So could someone please list Happy, Sad, and Angry?

Ευχαριστο
Picture of Guest User
Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Wednesday, 1 November 2006, 07:14 PM
  Hey there Justin.

Έχεις ερωτήσεις λοιπόν smile

Νομίζω - νόμιζα or νόμισα (the first one is "I thought in the past" the second "I thought for a moment")

It's better to go first for the first kind of past where the only thing that changes is the ending and put an extra epsilon at the beginning

-ες

-αμε
-ατε
-αν

are the standard endings. (If you want to go for the other past you'll need to do some more things)

When the verb is of two syllables you have to add an epsilon in
the singular and 3rd person plural.
-----

Hiriazomai is I suppose Χρειάζομαι ? If so yes, it's "I need"

The rest later on
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 2 November 2006, 03:09 AM
  ευχαριστο! πολι!
ευχαριστουμε! μενεις τον Ελλαθα;
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 2 November 2006, 12:26 PM
  Ιουστίνε, εγώ σε ευχαριστώ για τις ωραίες ερωτήσεις σου smile

Ναι, μένω στην Ελλάδα.

Εσύ;

Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Saturday, 4 November 2006, 03:54 AM
  Irene, a lot of verbs in dictionary form end in -omai, which is present continuous, first person. As opposed to most others which end in -w in dictionary form. What is the reason for this, can all verbs in dictionary form with the -omai form, be changed to have the -w form? kai to antipoda.

regards.
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 4 November 2006, 10:22 AM
  Verbs ending in -ομαι are "so-called" passive voice verbs; verbs ending in -ω are active voice verbs. I say "so-called" passive voice for verbs ending -ομαι because, although many are indeed truly passive voice in meaning, quite a number are actually middle voice in concept. (See "FYI: middle voice" in Discussion Forum 96 for an explanation of these terms)

Many, though not all, verbs found with an -ομαι middle/passive form have an active voice form in -ω. However, some verbs are found ONLY in this middle/passive form (for example έρχομαι, εργάζομαι, χρειάζομαι, δέχομαι, θυμάμαι/θυμούμαι).

And many, though not all, verbs in-ω have a middle/passive counterpart in -ομαι, while some verbs (νομίζω for example) are found ONLY in the active voice.

Α lot of this depends on whether a counterpart form makes any sense. As you progress in Greek, you will learn which form to use.

Learn Greek Online will introduce some middle/passive voice verbs in the present tense in Lessons 44 and 45 and will formally present the present tense of stem-stressed passive voice verbs in Lesson 96.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Saturday, 4 November 2006, 02:38 PM
  In addition to Greg's post:

You have to distinguish between voice and mood.

Voice is the way verbs are declined. Those ending in -ω are in the active voice. Those ending in -ομαι are (in modern Greek) of the passive voice (middle and passive in Ancient Greek).

The mood means two things. One of those is whether the subject is doing something to someone else, has something done to him etc.

Active mood: I do something.
Middle mood: I do something and what I do returns to me
Passive mood: Some is doing something to me
Neuter mood: Nothing really happens

Consider :πλένω ( I wash someone)
πλένομαι: I wash myself
πλένομαι: Someone else is washing me
κοιμάμαι: Nothing much happens does it?

Now think of εργάζομαι ( I work) Passive voice (declined in the passive voice, it has passive endings) but has a quite "active" mood eh?

Hope that helps.

(I have written a rather long explanation of the whole thing but I want to edit it a bit first and then see where I'll post it)
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Saturday, 4 November 2006, 06:26 PM
  okay,

so
trelenomai.
and xanomai.

are a result of something being done to me (not any particular reason for the choice of those two examples smile).

other compositions might be, auto einai gia na trelenesai (something done to the third person).

Okay fair enough, but what i dont understand what is passive voice, to me it means you avoid saying the person who is involved in the action. So, "otan paw se eksetasi trelenomai". is passive as oppose to saying, "otan paw eksetasi ginomai trellos.", but the person that is having something done to them in both cases is absolutely clear.

In the grahams post he mentions xriazomai can only be used in passive voice, is it non-convertible to xriazw, as in present continuous (I need).

Cheers.

Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 4 November 2006, 11:23 PM
  Passive voice means that the subject of the sentence (in nominative case) is receiving the action of the verb, that is, is being acted on by someone or something else.

The problem with using the term "passive voice" for some of these verbs is that the subject of the sentence is NOT being acted on by someone or something else, the subject himself is doing the action, which affects him, or benefits him, or involves him, or transforms him. This is the basis of "middle voice" and is why I stress that a number of these verbs are actually middle voice in concept -- no one else is acting upon me or doing something to me, I'm doing it myself, to myself, for myself.

Thus:
τρελαίνομαι = I go crazy
χάνομαι - I disappear, lose myself
These are not actions being done to me by someone else, I am doing it myself

όταν πάω σε εξέταση τρελαίνομαι. -> I go crazy (I do this to myself)
όταν πάω εξέταση γίνομαι τρέλλος. -> I become crazy. (γίνομαι, like είμαι, is DEFINITELY a middle voice verb)

χρειάζομαι, I need, while "passive" in form, is usually now considered active in meaning although originally it was middle, expressing my personal interest in my need of something, not a passive "I am needed" (by someone or something else).

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Sunday, 5 November 2006, 05:14 AM
  ok,

so

"xanw pragamata"...Are actions I do to someone/something else.
I am loosing the things. -active.

"thumomai mia fora"..I am remberbeing something. - passive.

xreiazomai..
I am needed = me xraizesai./xriazete me.

I think i get it.

cheers.

Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Sunday, 5 November 2006, 11:14 AM
  URGH!!!

Look guys, Let me go through it again.

VOICE = THE ENDINGS WE PUT ON THE VERB

Voice does not always correspond with MOOD

MOOD = SHOWS WHETHER I ACT AND PASS MY ENERGY, ACT BUT THE ENERGY COMES BACK TO ME, AM ACTED UPON, NONE OF THE ABOVE.

The term is PASSIVE for the endings and that's that. I'm not calling it anything myself.

Mikoz let's take your examples:

Xanw pragmata. Correct. I am who does the losing.
thumomai mia fora". Passive voice (endings) not passive mood. Nobody does anything to me. Middle mood. I do the remembering, the memories come to me.
xreiazomai= passive endings, active mood. I am who does the needing.

Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Just a few technical questions. Εχο Ρωτιστε(?)
by Guest User - Sunday, 5 November 2006, 12:24 PM
  I think I got it now,

Cheers Irene.