Picture of Guest User
greek grammar books
by Guest User - Wednesday, 29 November 2006, 04:35 AM
  first time posting here so hi everyone.

i live in greece and speak quite fluently but i know i make grammatical mistakes and its just not ok!! i think its time to open a grammar book and start improving matters.

i found the recommended book by Kouillis on here but my local bookshop couldn't find it to order it for me , even with the isbn and i don't want to order it online. and now i'm just wondering what people think of it and perhaps there's a better one out there. those who have the kouillis book, where did you get it? and does anyone else have another preference?

susan
Picture of Guest User
Re: greek grammar books
by Guest User - Wednesday, 6 December 2006, 01:49 AM
  no one got anything to say ?
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 8 December 2006, 01:49 AM
  Hi Susan,
I'll break the silence.I live in Greece too and wished
I could speak fluent Greek. Don't know anything about the Koulis Grammar and the only Greek Grammar in English I could find at the bookshop was a translation of Manolis Triandaphyllidis' Concise Modern Greek Grammar, which is very heavy going.It's a pity you don't want to order online, because you can get Greek- An Essential Grammar of the Modern Language published by Routledge.It's very clear,up to date, with no Katharevousa to confuse you.Definitely worth considering.HTH
Nigel
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 11 December 2006, 02:27 PM
  thanks nigel, i was lying saying i didn't want to buy online! i will buy through amazon, but i'm picky about sites since i got stung. i've just ordered the book you recommend.... had it in mind already actually, so thanks for that. i'll let you know how i get on

susan
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 12 December 2006, 07:33 PM
  If you live in Greece and already speak a fair amount of Greek, you might consider the Comprehensive Greek Grammar by the same authors, Holton/Mackridge/Phillipaki-Warburton.

The Essential Grammar, which Nigel recommends (and which I have and used as a beginner), is quite satisfactory for beginners. However, the Comprehensive goes much further in explaining word forms (inflections) as well as other areas of grammar and syntax.

So if you don't want to try something in Greek, I'd recommend the Comprehensive version for you, the "big brother" to the Essential. Both currently in print and definitely available online at Amazon.com.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: greek grammar books
by Guest User - Monday, 9 April 2007, 04:54 PM
  http://users.forthnet.gr/agn/drennolds1/index.htm

Try this site
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: greek grammar books
by Guest User - Tuesday, 10 April 2007, 09:31 AM
  If you already speak (and can read) Greek, get your hands on the grammar books they Greek kids use in Greece. There is a series, starting with a little blue book called simply "γραμματική" or something. I find it more useful than the "grammar for foreigners" books, but maybe I am coming at it from a different angle.