Picture of Guest User
greek words
by Guest User - Tuesday, 15 August 2006, 08:01 AM
  hello
greek it's a beatiful and interesting language ,but very difficult.
can you help me whith some words?
i understand that "kiss"= "filo",dar how do you say "kisses"?
"love"="agapo",but how do you say "i love you"?
and how do you say"i miss you"?
thanks
Picture of Guest User
Re: greek words
by Guest User - Thursday, 17 August 2006, 03:24 AM
  Dear Gabriela,

The plural for kisses is "FILIA" and "I miss you" is "MU L'IPIS". I didn't learn yet how to say "I love you" in Greek smile!

Mihaela
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 18 August 2006, 07:36 AM
  dear mihaela,
thank you for your help.
i was a little confus,becouse a greek friend(irene) told me that kisses=filia,and i belive her,of course.
but when i tried to find the word filia in greek dictionary from this site it shows that filia=friendship, and kiss=filo,fili. so i think that word has 2 meanings.
i think that i love you=s'agapao or s'agapo or something like that. i don't know the right expresion.
i woud like to talk to you,if you are romanian.
my email:corfu_gabriela@yahoo.com
hope to talk to you soon
have a nice weekend
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 18 August 2006, 10:46 AM
  fili'a (τα φιλιά), stressed on the last syllable, is the plural of fil'i (το φιλί, neuter gender) and means "kisses" (plural). Since Greek dictionaries do not ordinarily show plurals, you wouldn't find φιλιά --you would be expected to look up the singular form, φιλί ("kiss").

f'ilia (η φίλια, feminine gender), stressed on the first syllable, is a completely different word and means "friendship".

"I love you" is σ' αγαπώ (short for σε αγαπώ), although you will usually hear this in Athens in the uncontracted form σ' αγαπάω.

"I miss you" is μου λείπεις.

Hope this helps,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 18 August 2006, 03:24 PM
  thank you so much,greg!
now i understand better this words and espresions.
so,fili'a!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 15 December 2006, 12:16 PM
  Sorry Greg dut I would like to make a correction because the word for frendship is not stressed on first sillable dut on second.
The diference is that frendship=φιλία is stressed on the second "ι" and for the word kisses=φιλιά it is stressed on the "α" of the second sillable. It is difficult to anderstand the difference if you don't here it dut I think if you shout the letter that is stressed you can get an idea of how it sounds.

P.S Hope this helps,
Eleni Costa wink
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 16 December 2006, 12:49 AM
  I don't know what I was thinking when I mistakenly typed *φίλια and didn't notice it, but you are right, of course -- it should be η φιλία. Thanks for the correction.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 16 December 2006, 12:35 PM
  MY PLEASURE,
I LIKE THE THOUGHT OF THIS SITE. IT IS VERY INTRESTING AND HELPFUL AND I COULD ALSO SAY SOMETIMES EVEN FUNNY.
IT IS VERY NICE TO KNOW THAT MANY PEOPLE WANT TO LEARN GREEK.
I WILL BE VISSITING YOUR PAGE AND I HOPE I CAN HELP YOU AND ANSWER TO MOST OF YOUR QUESTIONS.
BEST REGARDS
ELENI!