Picture of Guest User
Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Wednesday, 31 January 2007, 02:11 AM
  Hi all, I will be glad to help you translate Greek to English and English to Greek in my spare time smile

So post your queries here smile

Picture of Guest User
Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Friday, 9 February 2007, 06:33 PM
  how do you say
"Happy Valentine's Day" in modern Greek?

thanks a lot!---this really helps me out.
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Saturday, 15 September 2007, 11:51 AM
  Well, sorry for the delay, I hadn't been here for a while.

Probably is too late to answer this, but who knows, maybe you will need it for the next February...

"Eftihismeni mera tu Agiu Veledinu" is the best translation, although we don't say it a lot.

The best of luck
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Saturday, 15 September 2007, 02:11 PM
  hi how do you say "look after my friend in greek"?
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 02:52 PM
  It would be: Να προσέχεις το φίλο/τη φίλη μου.
Na prosehis to filo/ti fili mou ( if your friend is a man is "to filo" and if is a woman is "ti fili").
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 05:10 PM
  We would usually put a ν after the to and ti

Therefore,

Να προσέχεις τον Φίλο σου
ή
Να προσέχεις την φίλη σου.

ή λέμε

να προσέχεις την φιλενάδα σου (If the person you are saying it to is a woman) (otherwise it means girlfriend)
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by Guest User - Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 11:35 AM
  No that's wrong. There is a rule for when you put the n (ν) in the end of specific words. These words are τον, την, έναν, δεν, μην, and αυτήν. Final n (τελικό ν) is used when the word that follows begins with a vowel or with specific consonants, which are κ, π, τ, μπ, ντ, γκ, τσ, τζ, ξ, ψ. Therefore, because φίλος/φίλη begins with φ (f), the word that comes before that (το/τη) loses the final n (τελικό ν): το φίλο / τη φίλη.

Some examples
1. Use of final ν:
τον αέρα (ton area)
έναν καιρό (enan kero)
μην περάσεις (min perasis)

2. Loss of final ν:
το φόβο (to fovo)
ένα λαό (ena lao)
μη σταματάς (mi stamatas)

The word των always retains final n (ν), regardless of the first letter of the following word.

(originally posted Friday, 21 September 2007, 11:35 AM)

Picture of TImon Rossolimos
Re: Translations/Μεταφρά σεις
by TImon Rossolimos - Saturday, 5 March 2016, 04:17 AM
  We run a Philanthropic Organisation in South Africa where we give money to destitute Greek families and homes...

Could you please translate this blurb for me about the organisation...

"The Ithaquesian Philanthropic Society of South Africa (est. 1905) was formed to assist the immigrants going to South Africa.

In 1924, the society was formally constituted as a Philanthropic Society to enable it to play a dominant role in community affairs in South Africa.

Substantial financial aid has been given to the needy, the sick, the aged, the orphans, hospitals, schools, Churches, disaster funds and other deserving organisations in South Africa and overseas.

The Ithaquesian Philanthropic Society has always managed to meet its commitments to the needy, even in times of political and economical crises thanks to the support of its members, friends and well wishes. "

Thank you dearly in advance. The greek members will really appreciate this translation.

The Community group you'll find here, https://www.facebook.com/groups/ithacasa/