Picture of Guest User
??τραγουδaνε?? can anyone help me with this word? :D
by Guest User - Thursday, 8 March 2007, 02:04 PM
  can anyone help me amke sense of this sentance...esp the word 'τραγουδάνε' i cannot translate it at all.

"για μας όχι μονο τραγουδaνε τα πουλια αλλα πετάνε κιόλας"
(gia mas oxi mono tragoudane ta poulia alla petane kiolas)

i think it is something about other birds already fly but not us? i dont know. anyways your help would be, as always hugely appreciated!

efharisto poil,

Melissa
Picture of Guest User
Re: ??τραγουδaνε?? can anyone help me with this word? :D
by Guest User - Thursday, 8 March 2007, 02:56 PM
  I would venture "For us the birds not only sing but even fly!" or ..."they fly as well". I'm not too sure about κιόλας, but τραγουδάνε is "they sing".
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 8 March 2007, 02:54 PM
  Yeap you got it right smile Κιόλας is "on top of that" so in this case it'd be translated either as "even" or "also" if you chose to go by "For us, not only do they birds sing but they also fly". Now I'm curious about the context!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 8 March 2007, 04:04 PM
  thank you both very much for your most prompt replies!!

it makes sense now! although greek is such a strange language that i cant always translate words properly! for example when i look for 'you eat' in one online dictionary i always get back a translation for suffering! how odd! oh well...makes it more fun i guess! smile

as for the context...well i dont know if this is a common phrase in greek but im taking it only in the most positive way!! i know some things that i wish to say or that i try to translate for greek speakers often lose meaning or sound simply odd!

so...once again thank you for helping me with my adventures with greek smilesmilesmile
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 9 March 2007, 10:50 AM
  FYI,

-άνε is the very common colloquial variant 3rd plural ending in Athenian Greek for end-stressed verbs like τραγουδώ (I sing) and πετώ (I fly). So you will hear and read either τραγουδούν or τραγουδάνε for "they sing", πετούν or πετάνε for "they fly".

Regards,
Greg Brush