Picture of Guest User
Do we know the meaning of Greek words before the Bible influenced them?
by Guest User - Saturday, 17 March 2007, 11:16 AM
  I have been studying the Christian Bible new testament.
The Greek word "Zoe" ( 2222 in Strong’s reference ) is replaced by the English word life in many translations.
Some of my reference materials give the meaning of "Zoe" as plant life or biological life.
Other references give an additional definition of "Zoe" as a spiritual non-physical form of life.

I am attempting to find out what the "people of the day" thought the word meant and I am concerned that the prevalence of the Bible has influenced the meaning of the word "Zoe" in my reference materials.

In other words.....

The parables of Jesus were spoken to people who did not have the Greek Bible new Testament, as it did not exist yet.
Is there a way to find the definition of the Greek word "Zoe" as it was when the parables were spoken before the Greek Bible had an influence?

Is there a Greek definition source based on writings that were in existence before the Bible was created?

If they do exist how would I find them?

Duane Eddy
Picture of Guest User
Re: Do we know the meaning of Greek words before the Bible influenced them?
by Guest User - Saturday, 17 March 2007, 12:14 PM
  Duane:

Presumably the parables were spoken in Aramaic rather than Greek, and not written down. Decades later the Gospel writers decided that the Aramaic word used by Jesus was roughly equivalent to the Greek word "Zoe" and centuries later the translators decided that the Greek word "Zoe" was roughly equivalent to the English word "life."

Even if we can determine what the Greek word "Zoe" meant at the time, we still have to remember that Jesus didn't say "Zoe." He said an Aramaic word that may have been slightly different in meaning from the Greek word "Zoe" and that also may have been remembered incorrectly by the writer, who was not working from a written text of the parables.

In addition, the Greek texts of the New Testament that are still in existence differ slightly from each other. The scribes made changes in the texts at the same time that they were making copies.

Larry
Picture of Guest User
Re: Do we know the meaning of Greek words before the Bible influenced them?
by Guest User - Sunday, 18 March 2007, 03:07 PM
  Thanks you have been a big help.

Duane
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Do we know the meaning of Greek words before the Bible influenced them?
by Guest User - Saturday, 17 March 2007, 04:15 PM
  The meaning of Ζωή (Zoe) has not changed through the ages...

It means life.....

Now if you wanna know if it means spiritual or biological life,

let me put this way:

According to Greeks, especially ancients, there can't be biological life without spiritual life...They go together...

Also according to Christianity, there can't be living body without spirit

According to both though, spiritual life may exist without biological

Anyway, as a term, Zoe covers both biological and spiritual life.

But I think in general your question can not be answered on the basis of terminology only, but tend to be more philosophical and how one understands life and New Testament....

Hope this helps
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Do we know the meaning of Greek words before the Bible influenced them?
by Guest User - Monday, 19 March 2007, 10:17 AM
  This helps a lot.

Thanks for the responce from both myself and the rest of the Bible study group.

Duane