Picture of Guest User
Dialects
by Guest User - Thursday, 5 April 2007, 03:41 PM
  I have noticed that Greg mentions things are common in the Athenian dialect, etc. I am wondering if you (or anyone) can tell me where I get certain traits in my Greek. I ask because my family is from all over Greece, from the Thessaloniki to Crete, literally, so I don't know. Mostly we are from the Peloponnese, though. For instance:

(1) I say "okso" instead of "ekso" for "outside".
(2) I say "katitis" instead of "kati" for something (p.x.: theleis katitis na fas?)
(3) I pronounce "li" as "lyi" or even almost "yi" (p.x.: poly, sounds like po'yi)
(4) Is there a difference between when people say "milaw" versus "milw", for instance? I never say the "aw" form.

I have noticed that as I speak to more mainstream people, I have changed my words to be like theirs...I don't do the "y" thing anymore, unless it slips out, and I say "kati" and "ekso."

I am just curious about dialects in general, so anything would be helpful if anyone knows anything. Also, it could be useful to people just learning because they can pick up some of the regional differences.

(I apologize for not using Greek letters, this computer doesn't have the capacity)
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Dialects
by Guest User - Thursday, 26 July 2007, 12:12 AM
  Well, I am from Peloponnese also, and to be honest, I think the way that you are speaking "OKSO" for example is VILLAGE GREEK.

As for MILAW and MILW, that is just a difference between personal preferences.

In the islands you will here certain differences. IN CRETE they will say "INBOU KANEIS" In rhodos, they will say "INDAMPOU KAMEIS" and In Cyprus they will say "INDAMPOU KAMNEIS" This means "Ti Kaneis"

Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Dialects
by Guest User - Thursday, 26 July 2007, 09:06 PM
  I don't think the "village" answer to things is very helpful. (Why are Greek people from cities so negative about the "xorio"? It's spoken about with such disdain...I don't get it).

Also, you wouldn't know if it is true Peloponnese or not because YOUR Greek is influenced by television, movies, songs, etc. which come in large part from Athens or other large cities. Maybe "okso" is Peloponnesian. Either way, Zitw ta Xoria! I am proud to be part from villages, part from the xorio.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 26 July 2007, 09:07 PM
  oops, I meant part from the city, part from the xorio.
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Dialects
by Guest User - Thursday, 26 July 2007, 11:09 PM
  lol, I didn't mean it to be negative against the XORIO, because I was born in a XORIO also, close to KALAMATA...lol....don't worry. It is just from personal experience that I have noticed a villager will say OKSO and not EKSO...
Picture of Guest User
Re: Dialects
by Guest User - Thursday, 13 December 2007, 07:23 PM
  haha I never really thought about it but now that u mention it... I've heard okso quite a few times myself.
Picture of Guest User
Re: Dialects
by Guest User - Friday, 1 February 2008, 12:40 AM
  This is an old topic but i was interested when i saw it was about dialects... i completely agree! its great that you can find a unique dialect, not only limited to a xwrio.. I live in america but all of my family is from crete (xania).
like you mentioned, they often say "okso" instead of "ekso"
a few other noticeable things are
"inta kaneis" instead of "ti kaneis"
"Oi" instead of "oxi" (as in many other places)
"kopeliA" instead of "kopela"
"kopeliEs" instead of "kopeles"
"edA" instead of "twra"
"epA" or "epaE" instead of "edw"
"katEis" or "katEo" instead of "katalavaineis" or "katalavaivw"
"thorO" instead of "vlepw"
"mikiO" instead of "mikro"
and many pronounce "Kai" like "che"
a thia of mine asked me last summer, "ErgAs?" and i thought she was asking something about work.. but i guess its a word they used for "are you cold" ..instead of "krioneis?"
...just thought id share smile
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Dialects
by Guest User - Friday, 1 February 2008, 09:51 AM
  lmfao, yeah this is true.
My yiayia pronounces koritsia like koritsa, and it is very interesting to see the different dialects. My father was born and raised in Rhodes, so they also have a very different dialect.

I have heard from a girl from Xania that the dialect is not really spoken by the young ppl is this true?
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Dialects
by Guest User - Friday, 1 February 2008, 09:30 PM
  lol yeah.. in the villages, i cant make out what the older people (especially the men) are saying half the time..

shes right, most of the young people dont as much. it also depends where you are.. we stayed in the xwrio (kissamos, xania) for about a month more than the bigger cities, and our friends there (usually only guys again) would speak in the different dialect.
but my cousins from xania (the city) and their friends didnt as much.
so from what ive seen it just depends..
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 13 February 2008, 03:55 PM
  I thing dialects are cool to use. It makes no great difference
and,after all, it shows that you know the REAL Greek language spoken in Greece. I'm from Thessalia,(Larissa), and here we have our own dialect.
Not something great, we just dont pronunce some letters. We also usually don't pronunce last letters and we use the word "re" most often than everywhere else in Greece.

Anyway, modern Greek is a compination of dialects and official Greek language so don't worry to use dialects. Don't even worry to make mistakes!(Even Greeks do)(many times!)
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 14 February 2008, 10:17 PM
  Too true too true. Even the news people hahaha. They don't put the accent on the right part of the word always. hahaha.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 17 February 2008, 05:27 AM
  All very interesting - but all Greek.

Just expanding on Georgia's examples for the word kopela...

κοπέλα = girl
κοπελιά = girl (dialect)

but in Corfu the word..

κοπέλια = boys (note the diferrent accent) They don't say αγόρια.

Just thought I'd throw that one in for good measure! smile

George