Picture of Guest User
Re
by Guest User - Thursday, 5 April 2007, 03:48 PM
  I didn't know that "re" and "more" were related. We always say "more," less often "re" and even less often "bre", but this is essential to learning Greek.

I disagree with wikipedia though on "gamwto" (sorry!). I don't think it really has the meaning of "f*** it" in the same way it does in English. For instance, in the phrase: Για την Ελλάδα, ρε γαμώτο," I don't think wikipedia's translation, "For Greece, f***!" is right. I think it is more like "For Greece, damn it!" All in all, I think "γαμώτο" is more like "damn it"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re

Any thoughts?
Picture of Guest User
Re: Re
by Guest User - Friday, 6 April 2007, 06:05 AM
  I didn't know they were related at all. I'm learning something new everyday!

I checked out the article from Wikipedia and saw the phrase you quoted. Interestingly, this particular article quotes it as "For Greece, f***!", but click on the link to Voula Patoulidou and it is translated how you said it: "For Greece, damn it!". Considering her remarkable story I would definitely agree the latter translation is correct. It was said in pride for her country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voula_Patoulidou

That said, like most things, I think it depends on the intention of the speaker. I've heard γαμώτο used as "F***!" but more commonly like an exclamation of surprise/amazement accompanied by laughter (like when someone has done something stupidbig grin), or disbelief (like "You've got to be kidding me!"surprise), or frustration (like "Stuff it!/Damn it!"angry).....

Is the phrase "ρε γαμώτο" used more frequently than just "γαμώτο"?

PS I think we need an R rating for this topic! wink
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Re
by Guest User - Friday, 6 April 2007, 11:55 AM
  You don't need an R rating cause in Greek γαμώτο, although deriving obviously from the greek "f" verb, it is not used in such way.It's different to say "γ**ώ το" and γαμώτο.The first means I f... .. and the second means something like damn, damn it etc. smileΓαμώτο and ρε γαμώτο are equally frequenlty used dependind on the emphasis required.

About re and more.. More derives from ancient moros which actually means stupid.Re and more are very commonly used and can be rude as in calling your boss "RE" in greek would be like calling him "HEY, YOU" in english.Not formal at all, yet VERY FRIENDLY amongst friends or familiars smile .More has many uses..You can say "ela more" which means something like "oh come on" or "ante more vlaka" which means something like "get lost you idiot".Once again an emphasis issue smile
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Re
by Guest User - Sunday, 8 April 2007, 10:18 PM
  Thank you, Theodore smile

I'm relieved it's not used in the same way, because I was quite worried after I posted my response!

PS How is your name written in greek??
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Re
by Guest User - Monday, 9 April 2007, 07:25 AM
  Officialy Θεόδωρος but commonly Θοδωρής smile