Picture of Guest User
greek movies
by Guest User - Thursday, 12 April 2007, 02:15 PM
  gia sou...i would like some suggestions for some greek movies to watch..i have been recommended 'loufa kai parallagi' and i watched it once almost two years ago but now im feeling slightly more confident with basic greek i should like to watch a subtitled movie...could anyonce suggest to me where i could find some of the old movies with english subtitles (german subtitles would be fine too but id really id really rather to listen greek and read english! shy

im also a real sucker for black and white movies and have found a few titles such as 'tha se perimenw panta' and 'petrina chronia'

so basically i guess im asking for your opinions...what are these movies like? and can anyone suggest any modern greek movies? (just dont say the 300..i just saw it and when i wasn't hiding from the violence i was getting all misty eyed blush
lol )

thank you! (hope this isnt too strange a request!)

Picture of Guest User
Re: greek movies
by Guest User - Thursday, 12 April 2007, 03:04 PM
  Have you come across the film director Theodoros Angelopoulos? Two of his films are available on DVD with English subtitles: Το Λιβάδι που δακρύζει (The Weeping Meadow) and O Θίασος (Travelling Players). They are both epic stories told against the background of the civil war. Not to everyoneΆs taste – they are long and slow-moving, but give a real insight into the Greek psyche.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 12 April 2007, 03:25 PM
  ah yes!! i was told of one movie o melissokomos! big grin

yes i have found him in my research! but its hard to find them from the uk..esp as they are either in a dvd format im not sure we can play here in the uk or they are without subtitles...i guess ill have to arrange another visit! ;)

thank you so far for your suggestion...what is modern greek cinema like?

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 17 April 2007, 10:22 AM
  I am not sure if this helps you, because you wanted things with subtitles, I thought (and these don't have it), but this site has movies, as well as TV series you can watch. I use it to watch Greek TV programs that I can't get in the States.

www.greek-movies.com
Picture of Anita Costi
by Anita Costi - Wednesday, 18 April 2007, 06:42 PM
  Thanks for the link! I've just watched a film 'Πέντε λεπτά ακόμα' and quite enjoyed it. I think I got the jist of it but couldn't quite work out why he got a second chance ... he seemed a bit of a nasty piece of worksmile

Anita
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 22 April 2007, 10:40 AM
  Thanks for putting this link here have taken a quick look and quite a few movies I will watch

Jill
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 06:46 AM
  Check also http://www.inuk.gr