Picture of Guest User
Στο παρά πέντε
by Guest User - Tuesday, 17 April 2007, 10:29 AM
  I have a question. What does the title of this television show (Στο παρά πέντε) mean? I haven't seen the show, but I assume there are five main characters or something, but what is meant by "Στο παρά πέντε"...is this something obvious and I am an idiot? Help?
Picture of Guest User
Re: Στο παρά πέντε
by Guest User - Tuesday, 17 April 2007, 02:16 PM
  It means "in the nick of time". The expression probably (my interpretation) comes from time keeping: Something happening at "five to X" is happening in the nick of time. Whether this is indeed the origin of this expression or not, if you want to show that someone is actually late in doing something you can say "και πέντε" (so at least I am not alone in misinterpeting its original meaning smile ). It shows that not only didn't (s)he manage to do it in the nick of time, he/she was actually late.

Η προθεσμία ήταν για τις 30 του μηνός. Κατάφερα να τελειώσω στο παρα πέντε! 29 του μηνός μεσάνυχτα. (the deadline was for the 30th of the month. I managed to finish in the nick of time! 29th at midnight) [OK so I am overdoing it a wee bit :D)

Δεν θα είχα πρόβλημα αν είχες τελειώσει στο παρά πέντε αλλά εσύ τελείωσες στο και πέντε (I wouldn't have a problem if you had finished in the nick of time but you passed the time limit)

Hope it helps.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 17 April 2007, 03:37 PM
  Yes, it helps very much! Thank you. I have never heard this expression before (even though I have heard the "sto kai pente" phrase but I thought it was "sto kaipente"...like one word! xa xa xa!).

Irene, how do you know English so well? I am impressed by your knowledge of the phrase "in the nick of time" (since it's not super common). Have you lived (or are you living) in an English-speaking country? I know your boyfriend is American, so...
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 17 April 2007, 04:09 PM
  Wow! That's an undeserved compliment but thanks anyway (I'm a sucker for compliments whether I merit them or not so keep 'em comin'!" smile

No, I've never lived abroad (bar almost a year while I studied in Edinburgh) although I'll be probably be moving to the US (and you already know the reason :D ).

I've studied English both formally and "informally" since I simply love this language although what with my frequent typos, "Greekicisms" (open/close the light for example; I just cannot seem to switch it on and off but there you go :D )and all it may not seem obvious.

If nothing else you just cannot beat the English language when it comes to puns and I simply adore puns (bad or good it doesn't matter, just as long as they make me a) laugh b) groan c) groan and laugh [see e.g. the comic B.C.or non-sequitur])

The "kaipende" mistake is all too normal if you ask me. The way we pronounce it I mean, it does sound as if it's one word.