Picture of Cub Cubbettee
male/female before noun
by Cub Cubbettee - Wednesday, 30 May 2007, 02:53 PM
  Hi,

I am only up to Lesson 4 but have a question about the inroduction of "to" before a noun such as in the word pencil.
In the first lesson that gender notification word was not used.
Should we be saying it even in those sentences spoken in that first lesson?

Picture of Guest User
Re: male/female before noun
by Guest User - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 10:57 AM
  Hello Cub!

In these cases it is better if you posted in the forum set aside for the relevant question after perusing it a bit to see if your question has been asked and answered already. An example of what you mean is very welcomed too ;)

The general rule is that the article (if that is what you are referring to) is used in all cases except when we list things. For instance Αγόρασα τα μολύβια και τα βιβλία χτες (I bought the pencils and the books yesterday). Αγόρασα μολύβια και βιβλία χτες (I bought pencils and books yesterday). This happens regardless of gender.
Picture of Cub Cubbettee
by Cub Cubbettee - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 12:47 PM
  Hello Irene,

Thank you for the reply.
I am sorry I posted it in the wrong area. Please foregive any indescretions as I am new to attempting to learn a new language via the internet. I did not notice this type of question being asked in the other 1-4 lessons that I have gone through. So yes then TOV needs to be placed before the words even in that first lesson where the speakers say "this is a pencil" even though they do not say TOV until later lessons. I am assuming that is just to give us some vocabulary to start with.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 03:27 PM
  Hi there!

No worries, I just mentioned it for the future smile

Now I don't remember lesson 1 (I may have never listened to it) so do they use "ena" before "pencil"?

Because in that case they got it right. Enas, mia, ena is the indefinite article ("a[[no]]" in English) and O,H,TO is the definite one ("the" in English).

Now you ALWAYS have to use either the definite or the indefinite article in Greek unless you list off things. Which of the two depends on the context.

My apologies if my previous message was confusing.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 04:12 PM
  Is it possible that you listened to lesson one, Irene mou? Why? smile

Yes, you always need some article, either definite (like "the" in English, or O, H, To in Greek) or indefinite (like "a[[no]]", or "enas, mia, ena" in Greek), except in the example that Irene gave above.

Except, I think there is another situation that warrants dropping the "ena" or the "to", which is where you are describing something to be of a certain class of things, as opposed to being something else. Let me give an example, but, correct me if I'm wrong (Irene, others, etc.).

If someone asked:

(1)

Is this a magazine? (einai afto [ena] periodiko?)
No, it's a book (as opposed to something else) (oxi, [ena]biblio einai)

(2)

Einai aftos [enas] antras? (is he a man?)
Oxi, [mia] gynaika einai. (no, [she's] a woman)

----------------

Also NOTE:

You even need the definite article when you use the word "this", so "this book" is "afto TO biblio", or possessive as in "my book", "TO biblio mou" This is not common in most languages, but does happen in one other example I can think of, Armenian: ays girk-e (this book); im girk-e (my book) [the -e being "the"]

Sorry if this was too much info.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 05:01 PM
  Whoops! I forgot this one, you are right M smile

I've listened to many of the lessons when answering a question requires it but I don't think I ever had to listen to the first one. Sorry, should have explained!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 1 June 2007, 02:14 PM
  You really go the extra mile to help learners of Greek. Bravo sou! big grin
Picture of Cub Cubbettee
by Cub Cubbettee - Friday, 1 June 2007, 06:46 PM
  Hi ,

Thanks for your help. I see the both of you post on many of the topics here smile
Picture of Cub Cubbettee
by Cub Cubbettee - Saturday, 23 June 2007, 10:36 AM
  Hi,

I belive they used ena but not to whereas in later lessons they started talking about the genders of the articles, so I was unsure if it was suppose to be in the first lessons. Thanks now I know as long as one or the other is spoken, then I am being accurate smile