Picture of Guest User
People's Translation Questions! (rant)
by Guest User - Tuesday, 12 June 2007, 12:53 PM
  Doesn't anyone else think it's weird that people come on here to get translation of SMS messages and what not? I mean, is this what happens, Greek boyfriend sends non-Greek girlfriend SMS, that she can't understand (which I am sure he knows she can't). Girlfriend comes on here to ask strangers what it means (it's always cheesy "I love you" blah blah).

(1) Why don't you just ask your significant other, or why don't they teach you the words they are trying to use on you? This method is inefficient and weird.

(2) It is insulting that people want to learn phrases and words on a case by case basis, but aren't really trying to invest in learning the language at all...especially when this website is about learning the language.

Please explain...
Picture of Guest User
Re: People's Translation Questions! (rant)
by Guest User - Friday, 15 June 2007, 01:04 PM
  Well I'm really new to this site, but I googled a lot of words here i wanted to learn. Well just to briefly reply to you.. I know 3 languages, and now there might be something starting with me and this greek girl i'm really into. the thing is like little silly things, like when first time i send her kalinixta, she was really amazed, and it's just because it's an iniciative, i want to express myself in her language, and with small things like this i reckon it's quite nice... I'm not english and if somebody have tried (and they have) to say something in my native language, it just amazes me and it sweet... and if you would ask to other (greek) half how is it to say this and this in greek, u would lose a supprise moment, and it's not so special imho!

another thing, i have worked together with portuguese ppl for two years, and sometimes there's not time to devote to learning another language, instead picking up words on case by case basis, y not - it doesn't take too much of an effort, + more u catch more u can make out of it! and i've learned quite a lot, I mean i can't speak fluently, not even close, but i can understand a lot - same with polish, but it's more because i know russian and those two languages are quite similar! but that's another story...
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 17 June 2007, 07:54 PM
  i like your answer a lot! which was a bit obvious in the first place
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 17 June 2007, 08:52 PM
  Okay, I wasn't going to reply, but this comment seems to warrant it.

First, he doesn't answer my question. He talks about people trying to surprise their loved ones in their language. I am talking about people writing to their loved ones in their OWN language, knowing full well that they can't understand. That makes NO sense to me. If I have a Greek girlfriend would I write to her in Chinese so she can go searching around for the meaning on the internet?

Second, this website is about learning the language, not about a bunch of teenie-boppers coming on here asking "what does 'kalinixta pontikaki mou, s'agapo!' mean?" We get the same 5 words over and over again...JUST LEARN THEM! It's annoying that people don't make the slightest effort to learn the language, but instead want the shortcut answer for their text-affairs.

Third, if you could read, you would see that he didn't answer ANY of my concerns/questions. So, how it was "obvious" is a mystery.
Picture of Andreas Leitgeb
by Andreas Leitgeb - Monday, 18 June 2007, 08:35 AM
  Συμφωνώ με εσένα!

I appreciate the help you give to those who really try
to learn greek, and I understand the frustration that
arises with the increasing number of one-shot askers
for translations of teenie-καμάκια.

Perhaps we should just ignore the really cheesy ones,
and for the other seemingly one-shot translation requests
one could stick to hints only, and leave some of the work
to the asker smile

e.g. one could put their greeklish into proper greek, only
with a translation for single words, thus indirectly hinting
that this here is no translation office smile

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 18 June 2007, 10:59 AM
  look, there realy isn't any reason to get angry or anything. i mean, i'm one of those who want to learn greek. It just doesn't disturbe me that much - you can choose to ignore them, as i do. i just skip them.

as for the obvious part:
it just might have happend that the non-greek person learned a phrase and have sent it to her/his greek girlfriend/boyfriend. the other may have sent an answer, just to make it more interesting. and even if this wasn't the case, i don't see why you are so angry about it.

but please, cause you seem to be of a lot of help for us who are learning, lets forget about this.

thanks
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: People's Translation Questions! (rant)
by Guest User - Wednesday, 25 July 2007, 11:38 PM
  Part of learning a foreign language is learning the COMMON TALK which a native speaker would use. Being Greek myself, I can say that when we send romantic messages we would say AGAPH MOU, and KARDIA MOU etc. Part of learning the language is learning these things too.
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: People's Translation Questions! (rant)
by Guest User - Thursday, 26 July 2007, 09:10 PM
  Yes, but they don't learn these things. They just get the quick definition of what the whole phrase means and then come on here week after week, day after day, asking what does this mean....when we already told them! Also, they aren't trying to learn anything, they are just looking for a quick fix.