Picture of Guest User
Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Monday, 17 September 2007, 06:49 AM
  Hi everyone,

I desperately want to learn Cypriot dialect of Greek; I have been looking for a self-study course book teaching Kypriaka for the past 2 months in net, however I haven't been able to find a single one. It would be so much appreciated if someone would tell me where I can find one, or whether there exists any organiztion/club which can lead me where to find one, or whether exists any web site concentrating especially on Cypriot grammar structure where I could learn on my own.

PS: I can read and write in Greek so the book/web site being in Greek would be no problem for me in terms of understanding.

Thanks a lot
Picture of Guest User
Re: Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Monday, 17 September 2007, 12:44 PM
  Hi
i dont want to disappoint you but because cypriot greek its not a standard language/dialect it hasnt got any standard grammar structure and the only books out there are some lexikons. The only way to learn it is by living in cyprus or having cypriot friends...
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 04:16 AM
  Hi Perikles,

Thanks a lot for taking time reading my post and for ur kind reply. I'll keep ur advice in my mind... if only it were possible for me to live there for a while to get the dialect which is techinacally impossible..sad

Thanks again,
Take care
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 02:17 PM
  Kalhspera,

Hi, like Perikles mentionesd, Cypriot is just a dialect therefore there is no written form of it. lol BUT, if you live somewhere where there is a large Cypriot/Greek commmunity you will be bound to find someone who can speak to you in the dialect.
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Re: Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Thursday, 11 October 2007, 11:19 PM
  If you want to really learn the way that they learn in Cyprus, try and find books written in Καθαρεύουσα. THE PURIFIED LANGUAGE. Sometimes, this is what the tect books look like in Cyprus. OTher than that, try and make a trip to Cyprus and go to the village and see how they talk. ALSO, be sure to know that if you ever do make a trip to Cyprus they will be capable of understanding your standard Greek, if you are stuck.
Picture of Guest User
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Saturday, 1 December 2007, 03:20 PM
  Ela twra! Kids in Cyprus may read Katharevousa, but they don't speak it because when they play together and spend time with their relatives, in real life all they can hear is Kypriaka. If Aiba studies Katharevousa chances are that she will arrive one day to Cyprus and will start speaking Katharevousa. Am I wrong?

I guess that there must exist some books on the subject -whether they are about language or cultural anthropology- where you can find a lexikon. Other than this, traditional music is a good starting point to learn how to pronounce it and acquire some words. I recommend

Ellhnes Akrites, The Guardians of Hellenism, vol. 12 (FM Records), "Kypros-Cyprus", me ton Xrhsto Sikkh, a CD with a booklet. Beautiful handful of songs.

I'd try to travel to Cyprus from time to time or network with Cypriots and get familiar with their culture. For whoever speaks some Greek it wouldn't be hard to learn much in short periods of time.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 1 December 2007, 05:28 PM
  Are you people serious? Like in Greece,so is the case in Cyprus too. Noone learns Katharevousa anymore. The kids at school are taught the Standard Greek that mainland Greeks speak. In matter of fact the majority of the books comes from Greece. But ,as E.Belaisko said, when the bell rings everybody switch to Cypriot Greek. This linguistic fenomenon is called Diglossia. The Standard language is used in writing, in schools, in television, in the parliament and in any kind of formal interaction but Cypriots always use cypriot Greek to communicate with friends ,relatives ,in shopping and any kind of informal interactions. But is also used in poetry and in comedy and drama shows that Cypriot channels produce.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 2 December 2007, 06:34 AM
  Regarding to Katharevousa nowadays, I guess that the only thing we can talk about is learning about the phenomenon of its very creation and about those writers from the past that wrote in Katharevousa, in oher words from a historical perspective. Anything else sounds like no-way.
As for me, I have no clues about the educational system in Cyprus, except for the information that you Pericles 1 give us, which makes much sense. By the way, the Pisa report gives us some more clues about its poor rating in the international educational community, which is quite a regrettable contradiction for the Cypriot society. I wonder why it's not working out.

However, for what you said, anyone trying to learn Cypriot Greek could sintonize TV, radio channels and possibly buy books written in Cypriot. These things would help much.
Picture of Guest User
Απάντηση: Kypriaka: Help needed!
by Guest User - Saturday, 22 December 2007, 01:27 PM
  am from cyprus so listen the diferents are small and i know some greek friend of mine cant speak cypriot so you have to forget the simple greek accent and if you dont come to cyprus you want speak any
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 01:42 PM

Hi!

Me too I'd really like to learn Kypriaka...

At least there is one occasion to hear (and maybe to learn by hearing) Kypriaka: the "kypriotiko skets" at http://www.cybc.com.cy/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=197 (http://www.cybc.com.cy/ -> ypiresies -> audio on demand -> kypriotiko sketch). The "skets" are really GREAT, so try it!!

Kali diaskedasi smile

Filakia (filouthkia)

Marianne