Picture of Guest User
the accent sign
by Guest User - Saturday, 19 January 2008, 03:28 PM
  can anybody advise me where on the keyboard is the accent sign?
i added the greek fonts but can't find the accent.
thank you
Picture of Guest User
Re: the accent sign
by Guest User - Sunday, 20 January 2008, 08:06 PM
  hi Sonia
press semicolon key, then the vowel you want, this should work.

kerry
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 21 January 2008, 01:19 AM
  Hi Kerry,
i tried the semicolon. it doesn't work for me.
it makes the accent mark in front of the vowel, not over it.
something else?
(i have windows xp)
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 22 January 2008, 11:52 AM
  First of all, make sure that you have Greek keyboard input selected as your current keyboard type.

Second, the accent mark in Greek will only work correctly with the vowels α,ε,ι,ο,υ. If you type the accent (semicolon) key with any other letter, you get the accent mark before that letter.

So press the semicolon key, release it, then press the desired vowel, whether lower case or capital letter:
ά, έ, ί, ό, ύ
¶, Έ, Ί, Ό, Ύ

for a diaeresis over ι or υ, press and release the colon key (Shift + semicolon), then the ι or υ:
ϊ, ϋ
Ϊ, Ϋ

There are a bunch of postings about this question of accents in the "Greek font/keyboard questions" resource in the Greek 101 section of LGO -- take a look at them for additional info.

Hope this helps,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 06:54 AM
  OK.
Got it.
It's important to emphasize that the semicolon in question is
to the right of L (lamda) because there's one to the left of the number 1 too and that was the one i have been trying with no success.

Thanks a lot.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 02:18 PM
  I don't know what kind of keyboard you're using, because in the standard 101-key US-type keyboard, there is only one labelled semicolon key, the one to the right of the L key.

It is true that with Greek keyboard input selected, the Greek character ; is mapped to a different key, but that key is the Q key on a standard keyboard, not the `/~ (grave accent / tilde) key found to the left of the 1 key.

Oh!... I suddenly realized what you may have thought -- that the ` key to the left of the numeral 1 was for the Greek accent mark. No, that's a grave accent, not used in Modern Greek. The semicolon key is the one to the left of the L key, and is used for composing Greek accented vowels when Greek input is selected.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 25 January 2008, 02:10 AM
  Well, I'm from Israel and we have apparently an extra semicolon on the keyboard to the left of the 1 key.