Picture of Guest User
Greek Dictionary with plural forms and stress shifts
by Guest User - Monday, 21 January 2008, 09:06 AM

I have been looking for a dictionary that would show the greek word with its plural form and any stress shifts. For example, when looking up the word mum most dictionaries don't have the plural form mamades. Also some greek nouns change the position of the stress depending on the case and most dictionaries don't show this either. Could anyone please recommend a dictionary that would contain these features. Thank you.
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Greek Dictionary with plural forms and stress shifts
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 22 January 2008, 11:21 AM
  Use NeuroLingo's online reference:
http://www.neurolingo.gr/online_tools/lexiscope.htm

Enter the word (noun, adjective, pronoun, or verb) you wish in Greek, and NeuroLingo will show you all the inflected/conjugated forms, including colloquial and learnèd variants. You don't have to worry about entering accent marks correctly, because NeuroLingo ignores them for its search purposes.

Keep in mind, though, that NeuroLingo is not a dictionary per se -- it does not give definitions, nor does it deal with translations from English-to-Greek or vice versa. Rather, it is a reference that will give you the various inflected forms of a Greek word; however, you must already have the Greek word that you want NeuroLingo to search for.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 08:19 AM
  Thank you so much. I spent like two years searching through university libraries looking for a dictionary like this. Do you know if this exists as a book as well? I prefer books cos you can take them everywhere with you. If not it doesn't matter I'm just happy that it exists.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 01:15 PM
  Hello John,
I use the Oxford Greek-English Learner's Dictionary ed. D.D. Stavropoulos. (OUP ISBN 0-19-431199-6) Every word has a reference number with it which refers to one of scores of grammatical tables at the back. Every conjugation and declension is covered. To use your example, if you look up μαμά it refers you to table 17A where the pattern word is κυρά, with the plural κυράδες.
Can't go wrong, really!

Best wishes
Jim