Picture of Victoria K
how to use άμα - grammer questions
by Victoria K - Saturday, 9 August 2008, 10:14 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am confused about the word άμα. Ι thought that it meant "if" but I have heard Greek speakers use άμα where I thought you would use μά (meaning "but"?) Could this be a difference in dialect for some speakers to use άμα instead of μά?

As well, I have seen the word θές, for example, να θές, and I am not sure why is it not να θέλεις or να θελήσεις in the subjunctive tense?

Thanks!

Βικτορία wink

Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
Re: how to use άμα - grammer questions
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Thursday, 14 August 2008, 07:21 AM
  Hi Victoria,

I don't know about άμα. As for θες, it's a common familiar contraction of θέλεις. It can be used anywhere θέλεις would be used instead, so you can say να θες as well instead of να θέλεις.

Also note that while it does exist, the θελήσω form is hardly ever used. Mostly people use θέλω like κάνω, and don't make a distinction between continuous and non-continuous forms (using ήθελα instead of θέλησα, for instance).
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 3 December 2008, 06:08 AM
  Hi Victoria,
Generally speaking, άμα, is as you said used in the same form as the english "if" and , μά, for the english "but". Sometimes you can use instead of άμα the word αν/εαν, and for the word μά, the word αλλά. It's the same. All i can think of, is that you prolly misheard or something like that cause Greeks tend to speak fast smile Check this grammar book might help you.

Cheers! and good luck!
DQueen

Picture of pico pico
by pico pico - Friday, 12 December 2008, 09:11 PM

Hi Victoria ,

Check out the possibility of άμα meaning "therefore" in colloquial Greek but I,m only just starting out so don,t bet your house on it.

Good luck

Pico