Picture of Victoria K
θα θα - τότες - πώς - questions
by Victoria K - Thursday, 5 February 2009, 07:54 AM
  Hello everyone,

I am confused about θα θα.

"...ώς πότε θα είναι κοντά μάς και θα θα μας δίνη παρηγοριά;"

- Πορτραίτα του Σπιτιού Μας

Could this be an error or does θα θα mean something different than θα?

As well, I am confused about τότες. I am only familiar with τότε, but I have seen a plural form, τότες?

Thank you!
Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
Re: θα θα - τότες - πώς - questions
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Friday, 6 February 2009, 11:15 AM
  I think the "θα θα" is probably a mistake. That shows because the "δίνη" doesn't look right either. I'd expect "δίνει".

As for τότες, a cursory search through the Internet seems to indicate that it's just an alternative to τότε. They both seem to mean "then". I've also found cases of πάντοτες as an alternative to πάντοτε or πάντα, so it seems to fit.

Greek seems full of all those synonyms and alternatives, which is not surprising considering two Greek languages actually lived alongside each other for generations. I'd not be surprised if the -ς alternatives come from the Katharevousa.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 6 February 2009, 06:16 PM
  The future verb form ending in -η (θα δίνη) is definitely katharevousa. Such a spelling was the norm in the katharevousa era, i.e., before about 40 years ago; the demotic equivalent is θα δίνει.

A Google search of the title, Πορτραίτα του Σπιτιού Μας, reveals that this is a novel written by Βασίλης Μοσκόβης and first published in 1987. The author, certainly an adult at that time, probably used the standard katharevousa spellings that he had learned in school before then.

Hope this helps,
Greg Brush
Picture of Victoria K
Απάντηση: Re: θα θα - τότες - πώς - questions
by Victoria K - Saturday, 7 February 2009, 01:46 PM
  Thanks very much Greg and Christophe!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 7 February 2009, 10:18 PM
  Hi! I visited this site just because of curiosity. I am Greek and i can help you. The guys above are true. The double "θα" is a typographical mistake. It is like you say "will will". Το τότες is used in greek villages (my grandmother used to speak like this). It's an idiom. It's not plural!!! And "δίνη" is like the guy above told you, it is written in kathareuousa here.

I think that you understand this sentence but let me help you:

The exact translation is: "until when he will be with us and will give us comfort". (sorry i don't remember exactl the english word for παρηγοριά".

Don't worry, you are doing very well! If your problem is only the idioms you will be able to speak with my aunt Panagioula at Karditsa in a while!! loool
Picture of Victoria K
Απάντηση: Re: θα θα - τότες - πώς - questions
by Victoria K - Monday, 9 February 2009, 05:18 PM
  big grin I hope you are right!

Thank you for the help!
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 25 February 2009, 10:05 AM
  παρηγοριά: my dictionary gives as "consolation" so comfort is pretty appropriate, here, I think.