Picture of Guest User
'' καλέ ''
by Guest User - Saturday, 21 February 2009, 09:45 AM
  I would like to know what does it mean when you call somebody " καλέ "?
I think that doesn't refer to the adjective καλός, καλή, καλό - good for example in this sentence,
Καλέ μου, τι κάνεις;
I've also heard once in a Greek movie something like:
Βρε, καλός τα μου... but I'm not sure if it's written correctly. Maybe καλός τα is one word and it should be spelled different. I appreciate your help...

Picture of Guest User
Re: '' καλέ ''
by Guest User - Wednesday, 25 February 2009, 09:58 AM
  In modern everyday usage I'd say καλέ is like English "mate" or Scots "pal" or US "buddy", a familiar and usually friendly greeting to someone whose name you maybe don't know but are treating on an equal informal basis.
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 25 February 2009, 12:32 PM
  Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ, John.
Regards! smile
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 5 January 2010, 08:32 PM

Guys ,

I saw this word in my greek book for the 1st level , It was said from a woman as a kind of greeting smile and I'm sure it comes from καλημέρα ,but guys take care as I said it to a Greek friend of mine and he told me it is only to be said only by women and not by men , by the way if you guys know names of Greek movies so I can download them I know only 2 movies that I have on my PC πέντε λεπτά ακόμα & πολιτική κουζίνα ,

Thanks in advance ,

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 6 January 2010, 12:34 AM
  καλέ is the vocative case of the masculine adjective καλός (L16), so it is used when directly addressing someone (a male).

If used by a woman, it's a term of endearment, as in:
καλέ μου = dear

while if used by a man, it's normally considered friendly and endearing:
καλέ μου φίλε = my dear friend!
-or-
καλέ μου κύριε = my good man!

Regards,
Greg Brush

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 6 August 2011, 09:53 PM
  It's very informal. The women use it when they are together even if it is in male gender. They can say it to men too like just a simple word that goes with the rest sentence or like an exclamation.
For example "Kale! I forgot Maria's birthday!" or "Where are you going kale?"... Also, when someone tells you something not real "What are you saying kale?"