Picture of sonia molcho
επιλέγω & διαλέγω
by sonia molcho - Thursday, 16 July 2009, 05:44 AM

According to the dictionarry both words mean "choose".

Are they interchangeable?

Picture of Guest User
Re: επιλέγω & διαλέγω
by Guest User - Thursday, 16 July 2009, 08:21 PM

Sonia,

Διαλέγω is similar to the English word "choose" and επιλέγω similar to the English word "select".  "Choosing" marks either two-option choices (to marry or not to marry) or multiple choices (the praline, toffee, or fudge, etc); "selecting" should be kept to mark a selection of choices only.  For example, you don't "select to marry", you "choose to marry".  (Otherwise, you "elect to marry" in English.)

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum

Picture of sonia molcho
by sonia molcho - Friday, 17 July 2009, 05:11 AM

Calum,

Thank you for your explanation.

To make it clearer, could you give an example using επιλέγω.

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 17 July 2009, 09:41 AM

Sonia,

You wouldn't normally say, "επίλεξα να το κάνω" (I selected to do it), you would normally say, "διάλεξα να το κάνω" (I chose to do it), because your choice is normally two-fold (to do it or not to do it).

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum

Picture of sonia molcho
by sonia molcho - Friday, 17 July 2009, 10:43 AM

That's an example of how not to use it. That is clear. Could you please give an example of a sentence where you would use it (I mean the verb επιλέγω).

Thanks.

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 17 July 2009, 06:59 PM

Sonia,

I have to admit that I'm questioning what I've been told about this so I'll try to investigate it further for you.

Here's another example: it's just as natural to say, "Διάλεξα την εύκολη λύση", as it is to say, "Επίλεξα την εύκολη λύση" (I chose the easy solution).

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 18 July 2009, 02:19 AM
  Sonia,

If this helps, επιλέγω is the verb used when voting in elections:
οι πολίτες επέλεξαν... = the citizens (i.e., voters) elected...
-and passive-
ο υποψήφιος επελέχτηκα (katharevousa επελέχθη) - the candidate was elected

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 18 July 2009, 11:05 AM

Sonia,

I'm very glad you asked this question.  Having checked up on this now, I can't actually find a difference between these two words myself.  The previous explanation I had of διαλέγω being preferred for choice between two things is clearly not right.  Another explanation given to me today was that διαλέγω is used for choosing between things of a different kind and that επιλέγω is used for choosing between things of the same kind but I've checked that up too and that doesn't seem to apply either.

The ancient and Biblical Greek use of επιλέγω to mean 'call, name' would explain why this word is preferred as the higher register term in relation to elections as Greg says.  It seems these words are completely interchangeable in Greek.

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum

Picture of sonia molcho
by sonia molcho - Sunday, 19 July 2009, 02:09 AM

Calum and Greg,

Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ για τις εξηγήσεις σας.

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 21 September 2009, 12:35 PM

Αγαπητοί φίλοι,

After asking a lot of people about the verbs διαλέγω and επιλέγω recently (and getting some very interesting responses), an aquaintance from Crete came up with the very curious statement that he would never use the verb επιλέγω in conversational Greek because his friends would ridicule him for using such a highbrow word.  His perception is that this word circulates mainly around educated and learned types, and so in texts.

This has been denied by other Greek speakers I've asked, but they are all educated types to whom the use of επιλέγω would, according to my friend's theory, be quite natural.  Would anyone care to comment on this idea?

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum