With Greek singer Elli Kokkinou
καιγόμαστε
by Ross Graves - Monday, 3 August 2009, 09:33 PM
  Hello...
Does anyone know what the word καιγόμαστε means? I think it's in the 1st person plural, but otherwise, I can find no form in any dictionary...
Thanks!
Ross
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: καιγόμαστε
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 4 August 2009, 11:48 AM
  καιγόμαστε (present middle/passive of καίω, I burn) = we are burned, we are on fire.

καίω is one of a handful of verbs which, like ακούω (L14), τρώω (L37), λέω (L37), and κλαίω (L82), drop the stem -γ- in the present tense of active voice, but retain the stem -γ- in the remainder of the active present system (i.e., in the active imperfect, continuous imperative, and present participle) and throughout the present system of middle/passive voice.

See "FYI: άκουγα (past continuous of ακούω)" in Discussion Forum 75 and "FYI: κλαίω" in Discussion Forum 82 for a little more about this type of verb.

By the way, this is an example where the Neurolingo website http://www.neurolingo.gr/online_tools/lexiscope.htm
is invaluable for beginners -- enter the form καιγόμαστε (with or without accent mark), and Neurolingo will show you the base verb as well as all conjugated forms.

Regards,
Greg Brush
With Greek singer Elli Kokkinou
Re: καιγόμαστε
by Ross Graves - Friday, 7 August 2009, 12:48 AM
  Thank you again, Greg.
Ευχαριστώ!
Ross