Picture of Guest User
HAU Podcasts
by Guest User - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 05:51 AM

Greg,

Thank you for your comments.

I have posted the first of the modified HAU Podcasts.

There are 2 files, total <5Mb. One “HAU_No_01_doc”, is the re-typed complete text in MS Word format. Those words highlighted magenta, in the body of the text and in the little lexicon at the end, are the ones that have not, as yet, penetrated my skull!

The second “HAU_01_exe” is a slideshow, albeit with only 3 slides!

Follow this link to download

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5effa57bfe13494f08f8df73f2072ed6e04e75f6e8ebb871

I will appreciate notification of any errors found or any comments that may improve the format.

Regards

John

Picture of Szabolcs Horvát
Re: HAU Podcasts
by Szabolcs Horvát - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 08:26 AM
  Hello John,

Apart from the format, how is this different from the transcript on the HAU site?

Two small typos I noticed in the first paragraph are μαθένουμε and κάνουν (the latter should not be capitalized).
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 10:34 AM
  The point of John's transcript was to produce a plain-text version of the audio of the HAU podcasts (analogous to the Lesson Notes of the LGO Audio Lessons) by eliminating all images from the HAU PDF's.

Regards,
Greg Brush
by Szabolcs Horvát - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 11:40 AM
  I asked because it seems that John has completely re-typed the text. This is a huge work. Even though the PDFs do not allow copying, there are ways to extract the text. In fact copying is only disallowed by viewers that explicitly support this feature. As I discovered the other day, the viewer included in most Linux distributions (evince) does not, so the text can easily be copied (of course some manual formatting is needed after copying). If you like, I can help with this.
by Szabolcs Horvát - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 12:22 PM
  A few more mistakes I noticed:

Capital letters don't have proper stress marks (they're simply preceded by an apostrophe), so the stress is lost when they're copied.

The transcript should say

"είμαι η Μαρία" instead of "είμαι Μαρία"

"Λέγομαι Γιώργος" instead of "Λέγουμε Γιώργος"

"όλο τον κόσμο" instead of "όλα τον κόσμο"

"δεν έχω χρόνο" instead of "δεν έχω χρόνια"

"Το όνομά μου" instead of "Το όνομα μου"

"άλλη μια φορά" instead of "άλλα μια φορά"

"Μένω στο κέντρο και πάω στη δουλειά μου με το μετρό." (The little word μου was missing)

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Thursday, 6 August 2009, 07:42 PM

John and Greg,

All these lessons are available at the Φωνή της Ελλάδας website.  The text is fully pastable and contains no images.  See the following address for a sample.  http://www.voiceofgreece.gr/mathimata-ellinikon/mathima-80o-at-the-metro-sto-metro.htm 

Να ’στε καλά,

Calum

Picture of Mike Heal (Μάικ)
by Mike Heal (Μάικ) - Friday, 7 August 2009, 03:33 AM
  Hi Greg, John, Szabolcs and Calum

I agree that lesson notes for the HAU podcasts are a great idea, but even better is Szabolcs idea in the other thread "HAU podcast 7 queries" of creating an English translation of these (I find that Xenofon's comments are especially hard to translate, even though often I know all the words he's saying, the translation doesn't make any sense, in English anyway!)
I don't know about the notes on the site that Calum suggested, but as far as the PDF files on the HAU website are concerned, be careful copying/translating them directly because often the audio and the text are not the same (sound familiar Greg!)
Maybe if enough people are interested, and LGO don't mind we could start pooling information here?
Best wishes to all
Μάικ
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 7 August 2009, 11:17 AM
  I see no reason why you could not post discussions about the HAU lessons. This "General Language Questions" Forum is intended for exactly such questions and discussions about contemporary spoken (or written) Greek.

Regards,
Greg Brush