Picture of Guest User
A new language!
by Guest User - Thursday, 14 January 2010, 04:59 AM

Hi everyone!!!

I have to learn a new language due to job purposes. I have to choose from French, Spanish, German etc...But unfortunately Greek is not there among the options sad  I dont want to discontinue my learning of Greek here So I would like to have a suggestion  which language I should  choose that will not hamper my learning of Greek. I want to learn a language that has some (more or less) similarities with Greek ( at least in the pronunciation/phonetics). I m waiting for ur suggestions.

Thank you! 

P.S.- Please suggest me one among Spanish, German and French.

Picture of Guest User
Re: A new language!
by Guest User - Friday, 15 January 2010, 01:54 AM

Hi Mouriya !

Here is my advise to you go ahead and learn Spanish right away without any hesitation the language itself is very easy and beautiful has some common things with Greek and not alot but good enough and as far as businesswise it is very important you know it is the 2nd official language in the USA and all South America except Brazil , no doubt that Spanish I was gonna learn it before I get crazy about Greek ,Greeks and Greece

By the way , if you don't mind me asking Mouriya what do you do for living ??!

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 16 January 2010, 01:36 PM
  While Essam makes a good case for Spanish, I'd probably recommend French. Why? For two reasons.

First, the use of French is geographically closer to you in India than Spanish is. French is still widely used and spoken as a second language in formerly French-dominated areas of the Middle East, Africa, and perhaps Southeast Asia, while Spanish (outside of Spain) is now almost entirely a Western Hemisphere language. And French continues to exert a cultural influence on the world outside of France, an influence which Spanish cannot duplicate.

Secondly, since you live in India and already have a command of English, you'll find that about ½ of the vocabulary is identical or very similar between English and French due to the French and Latin influences in English. So other than learning grammatical gender (and of course the different verbal system), you'll find that you can speak and understand French sentences just about as quickly as Spanish ones.

Unless you specifically need to deal with spoken or written German, I wouldn't advise learning it. For practical purposes, it is no longer spoken outside of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and no longer has the extensive cultural or scientific influence that it did a hundred years ago

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 19 January 2010, 04:17 PM

Greg ,

Although you diagree with me but I know that you have a point as I used to learn French and you are right as far as the similarities of the vocabulary and the scientific influence ( c'est le langue de culture ) and you will always enjoy that lovely music pronunciation of French however Spanish sounds musical and funny too .

Anyways I wanted to tell you Greg that I always enjoy reading your professional comment I really appreciate that knowledge .

Yeia Sas

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 21 February 2010, 10:58 PM
  If you want to leverage your Greek, I too would suggest Spanish. It has about the same number of people who speak it as English does, has one of the worlds great literature, and its pronunciation is similar to Greek and between Greek and a good English pronunciation, you'll have no difficulties.