Picture of Guest User
English movies with greek subtitles
by Guest User - Thursday, 4 March 2010, 02:56 PM

Geia sas,

perhaps anyone knows any useful links or webpages except youtube where to find English movies with greek subtitles?

I appreciate every help!

Sas euxaristo poli

Picture of Szabolcs Horvát
Re: English movies with greek subtitles
by Szabolcs Horvát - Thursday, 4 March 2010, 03:58 PM
  Films in English with Greek subtitles are no problem at all! Just pick any popular film, and search for Greek subtitles at http://www.opensubtitles.org/

Greek films with English (or some other) subtitles are much more useful though, and also much more difficult to find! (There're plenty of old Greek films on the net, but I couldn't find subtitles for most of them.)
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 5 March 2010, 05:20 AM
  thank you for your useful answer!
Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Friday, 5 March 2010, 07:42 AM
  Actually, in my experience with learning Dutch (nowadays my main language, although French is my native language), I found that English movies with Dutch subtitles were a great way to learn new vocabulary. Having the words written down rather than spoken helps quickly see where they begin and where they end, and often relationships between words masked by pronunciation become obvious when you see their orthography. And you are combining two easy tasks (listening in English and reading in the language you learn) rather than an easy and a difficult one (reading in English and trying to understand spoken words in the new language, reading comprehension is usually ahead of hearing comprehension when learning a new language). So don't dismiss English movies with Greek subtitles just yet smile . Indeed, movies in original language subtitled in English can be useful, but my experience is that the effort to try and decipher native speed spoken language clashes with trying to read the English subtitles and understand how they connect to the spoken text, and in the end I just give up, read the subtitles, and don't make the effort to listen to the spoken text except for the few words I recognise. Of course, your experience may vary.

One thing that could be very useful, once your ability is up to the task, is to watch Greek movies with Greek subtitles (subtitles for hearing impaired for instance). In my experience, having the words simultaneously spoken and written out for me help enhance my hearing comprehension a lot! And it helps connect written words to spoken words, which is always welcome, especially since it's not always possible to guess the spelling of a word from its pronunciation. Unfortunately, Greek movies with Greek subtitles are even more difficult to come by than Greek movies with English subtitles...
Picture of Szabolcs Horvát
by Szabolcs Horvát - Friday, 5 March 2010, 01:56 PM
  Thanks for the advice, Christophe! I'm still far, far away from the level where I'd be able to watch Greek with Greek subtitles. But I think I'll try to make a habit of watching English films with Greek subtitles from now on, and see how it works out. One does have to make an explicit effort to read/listen the language one is less proficient in. I already tried Greek with English subtitles, and you're completely right that after a while I found myself not even trying to comprehend the spoken Greek any more. I was just reading the English text. But I think this won't be any different with Greek subtitles either: I'll still have to make a conscious effort to read them.

I've never tried using the language I have more trouble understanding in the subtitles. It's going to be a new experience. smile

P.S. For some reason often I don't get the email notifications about your replies ... I don't understand why. Something's broken in the site.
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Monday, 8 March 2010, 12:40 PM
  I totally agree with Christophe.  When I am in Greece I really find it helpful with my language studying to watch English movies with Greek subtitles.