Picture of Guest User
Nine?
by Guest User - Sunday, 14 March 2010, 11:40 PM
  I've heard two different ways to say nine, ennea and ennia (more like a ya sound at the end). εννέα and εννία. What are the difference between these two? Are they used interchangeably? Is it regional?

Thanks

Katerina
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Nine?
by Greg Brush - Monday, 15 March 2010, 02:06 AM
  εννέα is the ancient/classical (katharevousa) form of the number 9, while έννια is the modern colloquial (demotic) pronunciation of the number 9.

Thus you will see εννέα used in print, and hear έννια in speech.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Szabolcs Horvát
by Szabolcs Horvát - Monday, 15 March 2010, 09:32 AM
  Greg,

I have always thought that it was εννιά (two syllables). Are έννια and εννιά both used (in addition to the more formal εννέα)?
Picture of Giorgos Zacharia
by Giorgos Zacharia - Monday, 15 March 2010, 11:24 AM
  yes, it's εννιά
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 15 March 2010, 01:00 PM
  Right, the accent on the colloquial version is on the second (final) syllable, so it is, of course, εννιά. Sorry for the mistake.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 15 March 2010, 09:47 AM
  Thanks Greg.

I have another similar question. What is the difference, if any, between λοιπόν and τότε?
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 15 March 2010, 07:20 PM
  λοιπόν is usually used as a conjunction -- it therefore normally introduces a separate clause -- and means "as a result", "as a consequence", "therefore". Sometimes, in colloquial use, λοιπόν is used as a kind of intensifier meaning "So!".

τότε is an adverb of time meaning "at that point in time" (i.e., English "then") and is used to describe when an action did or will take place.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Wednesday, 17 March 2010, 04:18 PM
  Got it. Thanks!