Picture of Mike West
Greek Map: Places beginning with a "N."
by Mike West - Saturday, 19 June 2010, 10:04 AM

Looking on a map of Greece I have seen many places beginning with "N." and wondered why. For example:

Ν. ΜΥΚΟΝΟΣ, Ν.ΕΥΒΟΙΑ, Ν.ΚΕΦΑΛΛΩΝΙΑ, Ν. ΖΑΚΥΝΘΟΣ

Having just done lesson 101 where we learn the two possible words for island (το νησί / η νήσος), I am guessing that this is indicating the places are islands.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Greek Map: Places beginning with a "N."
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 19 June 2010, 12:26 PM
  Right, these are all islands, and their map names may begin with the abbreviation Ν., here standing for νήσος, island, introduced in Lesson 101.

Note, however, that in non-island contexts a capital N. preceding a geographical name usually stands for the adjective Νότιος (νότιος, -α, -ο = south/southern), also introduced in L101, as in Ν. (Νότια) Αφρική, South Africa, or Ν. (Νότια) Αμερική, South America.

The person reading a Greek map is expected to know the context, i.e., whether a place is an island or not, and thus understand whether N. stands for νήσος or Νότιος.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Mike West
by Mike West - Saturday, 19 June 2010, 12:28 PM
  Thanks Greg.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 19 December 2013, 09:55 PM
  -Addendum-

In addition, Ν. is also occasionally used in print for the inflected adjective νέος, -α, -ο, as in ο Ν. Κόσμος (Νέος Κόσμος) or η Ν. Σμύρνη (Νέα Σμύρνη), two well-known districts of Athens.
Picture of Yiannis Koniaris
by Yiannis Koniaris - Tuesday, 24 December 2013, 03:07 PM
  In some cases N. is also an abbreviation of the Greek word Νομός (pronounced nomos, the stressed letter is the second o) which means county/prefecture. For example Ν. Μεσσηνίας.
Not to be confused with the word νόμος which means law! smile

P.S. ΚΕΦΑΛΛΟΝΙΑ, not KEΦΑΛΛΩΝΙΑ!