Picture of Guest User
Greek Dictionary with past tense of verbs
by Guest User - Sunday, 2 January 2011, 07:20 PM

Hi and Happy New Year to you all

does anyone know of a dictionary that shows the past tenses ? I have never seen one but it would be very useful.

Thanks

Fred:-pJ

Picture of Arshak Davidian
Re: Greek Dictionary with past tense of verbs
by Arshak Davidian - Monday, 3 January 2011, 03:37 AM

Salam, shoma Irani hasti?

I do not know of such dictionaries, but I suggest you have a look at this website for a comprehensive list and all tenses for the most common Greek verbs. I've been using it for quite some time and it has helped me a lot.

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/

Dourood bar baradaran va khaharaan Iraniyan az Armanistan and Happy New Year ...though it's not Novrooz

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Monday, 3 January 2011, 08:44 AM

Thank for your reply. Yes I am an Iranian but have spent most of my life in the UK.

Depsite my surname, I am not an Armanian.

Thanks again J

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 3 January 2011, 01:05 PM
  If you're referring to an online dictionary, take a look at the NeuroLingo site. When you enter (in Greek) any inflected form of a Greek word, you'll get all the inflected forms for that word. If a verb, you'll get all the conjugated forms of the verb:
http://www.neurolingo.gr/el/online_tools/lexiscope.htm

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Robert Jones
by Robert Jones - Tuesday, 2 December 2014, 08:23 AM
  The Oxford Greek-English Learner's Dictionary ( D.N. Stavropoulos) has tables of ALL the Greek verb groups in all tenses,passive and active in the back. Every entry also has a number next to it indicating which group it belongs to so you can refer to it in the tables.It is the best dictionary available in most people's opinion. Online dictionaries are not so good and Google Translate is a joke at times!

Regards

Robert

P.S. The Neurolingo site only allows a certain number of translations per day, then you are asked to subscribe. There is no substitute for a good dictionary in book form in my opinion.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 2 December 2014, 11:39 AM
  The Neurolingo "subscription" is actually a registration (i.e., a setting up of a free account, analogous to what is required at LGO) with a user account name and password. Without any registration, Neurolingo allows up to 10 requests per user name per day; with an account, that number increases to 30 per day. Since each account is tied to an email address, those with more than one email address can have more than one Neurolingo account if they wish. I have very rarely, if ever, exceeded 30 requests in a day, so a single registered account should be quite adequate for almost all users.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Robert Jones
by Robert Jones - Saturday, 6 December 2014, 10:05 PM
  Thanks Greg, I didn't know that. As you say,30 a day should suffice. Incidentally, I am a little disappointed with my Stavropoulos as it does not have η κούτα [the carton] in. I felt foolish at my night class when I thought I had found an error in our Greek textbook. 'βαριές κούτες' ? ''It's 'το κούτι', neuter'' I complained. No, 'Η κούτα', feminine = carton, large box.
Only flaw in it so far,otherwise extremely helpful, esp. the idiomatic expressions.

Regards
Robert
Picture of Biggles The Cat
by Biggles The Cat - Friday, 20 February 2015, 12:36 AM
  The Neurolingo site is nothing short of brilliant - you can search any form of a verb and it will find the dictionary entry (1st person singular - not sure of technical term) form with a comprehensive table of conjugations, tenses and moods. The only thing it could use (for beginners like me) is an English translation of the basic form if, say, you've come across an unfamiliar word. I use the Collins Greek English Dictionary app on my iPhone for that.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 20 February 2015, 01:08 PM
  For English translations try the Ελληνοαγγλικό Λεξικό, Greek-English Dictionary, at:
http://www.wordreference.com/gren

It will have most, though not all, of the Greek words and expressions that you will want a translation for. Use the dictionary form of an inflected or conjugated word. That means:
• nom. sg. for nouns
• masc. nom. sg. for adjectives and pronouns
• 1st person sg. for verbs

Regards,
Greg Brush