Picture of Guest User
"λάθος εντυπώσεις"
by Guest User - Saturday, 15 January 2011, 05:30 AM

I'd like to know if there is a pattern in greek language in the sense that a noun may have a value of adjective.

So does "λάθος εντυπώσεις" mean "wrong impressions"?

the original text:

"αν έχω λάθος εντυπώσεις
μη μου το πείς"

Picture of Greg Brush
Re: "λάθος εντυπώσεις"
by Greg Brush - Saturday, 15 January 2011, 11:55 AM
  In this sense, yes, the noun λάθος has the semantic sense of an adjective in English:
λάθος εντυπώσεις = wrong impressions,
so:
αν έχω λάθος εντυπώσεις μη μου το πείς = If I have the wrong impression [literally, wrong impressions], don't tell me.

Note that it is not uncommon in Greek for two nouns to be used together in exactly this manner, with the first noun normally providing the grammatical gender for the two. For a little more about this practice, see "Queries with this lesson" in Discussion Forum 45, as well as another example of such usage in "ορθό ή λάθος, another question" in Discussion Forum 79.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 15 January 2011, 02:47 PM
  Thank you , Greg
Have a nice evening!

Regards,
George
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 16 January 2011, 09:08 AM
  Hi, Greg

Please let me continue with some more:

I've found this , somewhere in a text:

Είπε τη λάθος λέξη. (= She/he said the wrong word).

Here again the noun "λάθος" behaves like an adjective (=wrong). In addition, I saw that the gender of the "phrase" "λάθος λέξη" is given by the latter noun (λέξη), wich has feminine gender (τη λέξη - feminine noun in accusative case) and not by the first noun (λάθος - neuter gender).

So? Wich one is correct? "το λάθος λέξη" or "τη λάθος λέξη" ?

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Sunday, 16 January 2011, 02:22 PM
  I should have made this more clear in my original reply. In this specific use, λάθος is in essence an uninflected adjective, so the grammatical gender is determined by the other noun:
(οι) λάθος επιπτώσεις - the wrong impressions
(η) λάθος λέξη - the wrong word
(η) λάθος απάντηση - the wrong answer
(η) λάθος κατεύθυνση - the wrong direction
(η) λάθος διεύθυνση - the wrong address, as in πήγε σε λάθος διεύθυνση - he/she went to the wrong address
(η) λάθος πόρτα - the wrong door, as in χτύπησα λάθος πόρτα - I knocked on the wrong door
(ο) λάθος δρόμος - the wrong street, as in πήρα λάθος δρόμο - I took the wrong street

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Sunday, 16 January 2011, 02:17 PM
  Thank you again,Greg! It helped me a lot.

Regards,
George