2.Το σκοινί κόπηκε.
Those two statemets would be grammatically correct

3.Το σκοινί κόπηκε από τον Κώστα. => That one would be grammatically incorrect

What is the truth?
Picture of Guest User
Re: correct use of passive / mediopassive for the verb κόβω
by Guest User - Tuesday, 8 February 2011, 02:26 AM
  Just to be more clear:

I mean the author says that "από τον Κώστα" cannot be applied for the mediopassive of the verb "κόβω"...
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Tuesday, 8 February 2011, 04:47 AM
  Hi George,

I would think that the phrase "Το σκοινί κόπηκε από τον Κώστα" is not grammatically correct. In the case of verbs like κόβω, χτενίζω, etc. the action "refers" to the object, without the latter being identified in a direct way (i.e. by using "από τον/την"). The verb, when it has mediopassive morphology, and the general context are deemed enough to identify the object.

Nevertheless, I think it wouldn't be uncommon to hear it in everyday speach. Of course, the fact remains that such a use would be incorrect.

Best regards,

Jim
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 10 February 2011, 12:45 PM
  The PDF you refer to, as well as Dimitris' comment, are both, unfortunately, completely wrong. The sentence "Το σκοινί κόπηκε από τον Κώστα" is not ungrammatical at all -- it is a perfectly legitimate sentence from a purely syntactical point of view, and the inclusion of the agent of the action ("από τον Κώστα") is grammatically acceptable for this verb when used in passive voice.

However, from a stylistic point of view, people simply would not use passive voice here; rather, they would normally say and write this in active voice: Ο Κώστας έκοψε το σκοινί.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 11 February 2011, 05:57 AM
  I had a totally different impression..yet wrong as it turned out to be. George, my apologies. Greg, thank you for pointing this out.

Best regards,

Jim

Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Friday, 11 February 2011, 09:33 AM
  Ok, I believe you,Greg and thank you , Jim and Greg for your responses. But I'm still confused, a little.
Here I post the pdf. document in "Attachment":
The author: Katerina Zombolou
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Friday, 11 February 2011, 03:11 PM
  I checked with a Greek colleague, Harry Foundalis, a native speaker of mainland Greek who lives in Greece. His observation is that the author is either not a native speaker herself, or else she is describing the Greek as used in Australia by those of Greek descent there and who are not aware that their Greek is not the norm as spoken in Greece.

In short, there are a number of errors in her listings of verbs which cannot be made passive -- thus her paper should be be considered non-authoritative (if not suspect) as to how the language is actually used in Greece.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Guest User
by Guest User - Saturday, 12 February 2011, 04:13 AM
  Sorry for my importunity! I'm convinced now. But you have to understand my past doubt, as the author of that pdf has a greek name.
I've heard about Harry Foundalis and I even learned greek from his internet site http://www.foundalis.com/lan/greek.htm

Best regards,
George